Mounting an Audere JZ3 preamp on a pickguard

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mgalat, Feb 12, 2013.

1. mgalat

mgalat Supporting Member

So, oddball question but I figured what better place to ask.

I am the current owner of an SX 5 string jazz. I have an insatiable desire to turn it into a poor man's marcus miller V. This includes the obnoxiously large pickguard. However I want to keep the Audere preamp that I have on it currently. The problem is that if you look at the actual product (http://www.audereaudio.com/index.htm) the preamp is mounted straight onto the metal and not all separate pots.

The question: Would I be able to remove the preamp from the metal piece and mount it straight to a custom pickguard without endangering the preamp?

Note: the custom pickguard would have the proper holes drilled so the pots would line up correctly.

2. jpeck02

jpeck02

I had an Audere preamp removed from it's existing plate and reinstalled on a new plate by an extremely well respected luthier here in Chicago. It never worked right and eventually shorted out. We had to send it back to Audere for repair. I think they charged us $50 to fix it.

3. mgalat

mgalat Supporting Member

Well, that's disheartening. Thank you for letting me know.

After it was fixed, did you remount it on the original plate? Or did you keep using it on the new plate?

4. jpeck02

jpeck02

Audere fixed it and installed it on my new plate. It worked fine after that.
    I think the problem was when we drilled a hole in the new plate for the Z-Switch, it was not quite in the right place and it put some pressure on the circuit board after it was installed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mgalat

mgalat Supporting Member

Got it. Thank you for the information.

(To the moderators: Sorry that I had this in the wrong forum initially)

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Hmmm.......I had one transferred from the plate to a custom bass with rear routing. No issues. Then again, my tech is an engineer by trade. I don't think he'd have a problem transferring it back to a plate of any kind.