1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mounting preamp on top of Acoustic Image

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Thumpie, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Thumpie

Thumpie

I'm always trying to streamline/minimize the gear I have to set-up and carry.

I'm thinking about mounting my Fishman Platinum preamp on top of my Acoustic Image with Velcro so I carry the whole thing as one. The AI doesn't get ultra-hot, but I was wondering if anyone would be concerned about having the two mounted so close together--the heat or vibration isn't going to hurt the Fishman, is it?

Any other ideas on gear streamlining?

2. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

No.
    But I use high impedance preamps as close to the bass as possible because it reduces the amount of noise that can get into the cable due to the high impedance and only the short cable from pickup to preamp is more sensitive to microphonic behaviour.

But if you don't care or it does not happen to your special setup you can put the preamp whereever you want. I just would try to keep as far away as possible from the transformer of your amplifier when mounting it there.

3. Thumpie

Thumpie

I actually position the AI really close to my bass because I use it as a monitor (my thinking is that if I just hear myself right beside the amp then my volume level is probably pretty good for the audience), so cable length isn't a big issue for me...

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    So long as you're not blocking any vent holes on the amp, mounting the preamp on top shouldn't be a problem.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    My only concern would be if the AI gets warm at all it will soften the glue on the Velcro. Just how much depends on how warm it gets and what kind of Velcro you use.

7. Thumpie

Thumpie

Good point. I've used some 3M stuff on the amp before for a smaller phantom-power box and it wasn't a problem. But I'd have to consider the weight of the Fishman. Maybe heat-softened glue couldn't support it. That thing is heavy.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars, Boom Bass Cabinets
    I've been running my Pope Mitre Box pre on top of my Focus 1R for a few months now with EB, sounds great. The Focus barely gets warm no matter how hard I push. The PO left the loop part of the velcro on the bottom of the Pope and it holds nicely on the bare top of the Focus. Surprisingly well... the two pieces together might weigh 7 lb.

[​IMG]

9. brianrost

brianrost

Gee, the best part of going with AI is I didn't need a preamp any more ;)

I'd be more concerned about vibration/buzzing than heat. My Coda doesn't get warm on top at all.

10. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

+1 with the Focus 1 (Rev Solo p/u into the Focus with no preamp...sounds great)

11. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

I'm new to AI gear, but given its 1-meg input impedance, I can't understand why you'd want a preamp in the signal path, unless you want to control volume and EQ some distance away from the amp itself. Am I not understanding something?

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

My biggest concern would be the muffling/darkening of the sound caused by the Fishman.