Move from Bongo 5 HH to Big Al 5 SSS, all gain & no loss?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tunaman, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Considering a move from my Bongo 5 HH to Big Al 5 SSS mainly due to having a SC at the neck being easier to slap. I know the Bongo has a HS but its rare & the Big Al can series\parallel & active passive

So the question is... anybody lose anything moving from a Bongo to a Big Al or is it only adding more features?

My new disco band has tons of slap otherwise I'd keep the Bongo, love it.

2. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Big Al SSS has an incredible slap tone with neck and bridge pups in parallel.

3. rootbill

rootbill

I currently own both. The Big Al 5 is top notch. A friendly tip, use
    passive amp and or pedal input settings w/Big Al. Brand New,they
    come labeled as such,(important) if buying used or from T.B.,that o so helpful sticker may already be removed from input jack. Passive Mode is a "Masterpiece"

4. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Is this the Sterling Silver 5HH you have/had? That sure would look nice next to my SS 6 HS haha.
    If you like the Big Al body, I can't see this really being a huge downgrade at all. I'm not a slapper, but I can easily see the argument for the spacing on the Big Al versus the Bongo. Have you had a chance to play the SSS versus the H? Or even thought about a Sterling HS (somewhat more common than Bongo HS)?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Big Al 5 SSS has been my main 5 string since early 2011. It is an animal. With that being said, I just picked up a Bongo 5 HH not too long ago. You can get pretty good slap tones out of it too but I still prefer the Big Al.

There was a Bongo 5 HS in the Classifieds here not too long ago. It may still be there.

7. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I have both and they both are great. The single coil in the neck position doesnt really give your finger anymore physical room to pop because it only goes to 22 frets vs the bongo 24 so the gap is near identical. They both r excellent slappers and I dont think you will be blown away with the big al over the bongo.

8. Tunaman

Heres my current crop of EBMMs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the Sterling 5HS & its my go to bass, my #1, I will ALWAYS love a Sterling over the Bongo\Big Al\Reflex\Stingray due to the pickup switch & the fact that its ceramics in series but also parallel all pickups

My Sterling 5HH used to be my #1 before we added all this slap disco. The Bongo 5HH is redundant right now & Id imagine I would be more likely to pick up a Big Al 5SSS as my back up.

Bongo being a HH & having 24 frets leaves very little room for popping & I miss way too many notes, same for the Sterling 5 HH. My technique sucks! :crying: so I notice a big difference using the Sterling 5HS.

9. mojomike001

mojomike001

Big Al can sound like anything you want it to sound like. I've never picked up a Bongo, but I suspect the Big Al might result in some weight gain. They are typically not light weights.

10. Tunaman

Weight really isn't an issue to me, neck dimensions are which is why I stick to EBMM so much.

So nobody has felt like they lost anything moving from Bongo to a Big Al?

11. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

You losing nothing but a pan pot.

12. Musicman20

Musicman20

Cool thing about the Big Al is the tone control and fantastic vintage tones it will do (as well as the EBMM tones !

However I also love Bongos!

Save an get a Big Al as well ;)

13. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
  14. Tunaman

Thanks Selta but I also want a maple neck, the Mahogany of the Big Al & Reflex mellows the tone a bit.

I'll be waiting in the weeds for that killer big al. Do love my Bongo so I dont feel the need to bail on it in a panic.

Sterling 5 HS is the leader of the pack for now!

15. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

BIG AL > BONGO

I have to admit - you have been making me think of a Sterling over the past few months Tuna - something to slice n dice in the mix, as opposed to my Reflex's mellow thump.