Move from Windows XP to Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Electricblue, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Electricblue

Electricblue

Merry Christmas eve eve, everybody!

Is it worth me "upgrading" to Windows 7? My aging desktop PC is currently running XP. I use it for mostly gaming, DAW's, music and movies etc. It's not connected to the internet and has no Antivirus (my choice). I don't like clutter so I use my laptop to virus check my new goodies (music, games etc) and then move them to the desktop PC.

Everything seems to need higher spec machines nowadays (obviously) so I'm considering building a decent PC. I understand I need Windows 7 to make use of high-spec stuff.

Thing is, I hate Windows 7. To me, it seems like a watered-down mess. I'm not interested in Tweeting or apps or iAnything. I just want to make the most of my new hardware and that's it. And I bet all my old games won't work on 7.

XP service pack 4 would be great, but that's not gonna happen.

I don't want to upgrade my whole PC just so 7 can do the same thing as XP, but use more resources.

Am I screwed?

My current spec is:

Intel Pentium Dual core 3.4ghz
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    Nvidia 9600gt 512mb
    Hitachi 1TB sata hard drive.
    I can't remember the motherboard...

Cheers guys, have a good Christmas!
  2. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I vote yes, get it now while you can, by all accounts windows 8 sucks quite a bit. Windows 7 has definitely grown on me, I like it as well as I ever liked XP.
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    You're screwed.

I got used to XP and I got used to 7. Nothing's perfect. AFAIK it's the same OS under the hood.

I just got an Acer with quad core and 4 GB of RAM for 300 bucks by waiting for a bargain at NewEgg. The old computer was 8+ years old and not worth upgrading. The new one came with Win 7 Home Whatever. So far it's been perfectly satisfactory.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

You can definitely change the look of the GUI to be more like Windows 98 or XP.

From my experience, if you're happy with XP, stick with it. Windows 7 is actually even better than XP was except it runs better in spite of it using a bigger footprint.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. P Town

P Town Guest

I just put 8 on a machine, and it takes some getting used to, but I like it, (mostly) so far. It starts, sleeps, and shuts down quicker than 7, on my fancy 64 bit dual quad core processor Dell. I have touchscreen monitors, and will put one back on it, because I hear the touch interface is better than 7. You can instantly switch 7 and 8 UI. I also read it is very secure. Upgrade was 49 bucks at BB last week.
  7. Electricblue

Electricblue

Thanks for all the input!

I'm just fearing that it will be so dumbed-down I'll feel like I'm drowning in wallpaper paste. What are the plus points of 7 apart from looking "nicer" and maybe some security/internet advantages?

I just can't imagine it being as fast or stable as XP, and it looks quite heavy for an OS. I mean who cares if it can make a window go transparent? Who the **** needs that? It's pointless.

Sorry if I'm making this look like a general rant towards 7. Maybe it's just not my day :(
  8. Simo98

Simo98

Windows 7 is fine, it is actually a decent OS, they fixed a large majority of the stuff ups in Vista. It does push you to download updates a lot more regularly than XP ever did, but that's nothing unusual, everything is heading that way these days.

All your old games will run fine on Windows 7 afaik (hah, I remember being paranoid that Windows XP wasn't going to run games properly). Also they've come a ways with automatic driver installation in 7, which is a huge bonus imo.

Are you running 64 bit or 32 bit XP?
  9. Electricblue

Electricblue

32bit XP, I've never looked into 64. I assume it's better in some way, although I think I can remember people on sites saying they've had compatibility issues with 64.

A lot of games on my PC are backed up because I've lost the original disk :bag: Would I have any issues with the No-CD cracks and stuff like that with 7?
  10. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I use Windows 7 at work, but use XP at home, and prefer using XP - it just seems easier, and I like the directory better.
  11. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I switched from XP to 7 (64 bit) about a year and a half ago, just to take advantage of newer hardware (more physical memory, multi-core processor). I think it was worth it. Haven't had any problems, and the interface is 95% identical to XP (at least for the things I do).
  12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I don't think there are compatability issues for games from XP to Windows 7, at least nowhere near the issues there was from Win95/Win98 to XP.

Another big plus for Windows 7 is that you can use versions of DirectX beyond DX9c. A growing number of games require DX10+, though I doubt that'll be an issue for an older machine where the hardware probably doesn't support newer versions of DirectX.
  13. deeptubes

deeptubes

Bought a new laptop a year and a half ago that has 7. Liked it so much, I upgraded my desktop from XP.
  14. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

7 is good enough to make me not wish for OSX at work. That should say a lot.

lowsound
  15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

If XP does what you want it to, then there is no reason to move to Windows 7. Also, you can install Windows 7 and run it in XP mode.
  16. Simo98

Simo98

With a 32 bit operating system you have a cap on how much ram you can utilise, 3gb give or take a little, so any extra ram you have is not being used. 4gb isn't too bad as you've not missing out on much, but when you have 8 or 16gb its a huge difference.

There are some programs that don't run on a 64bit operating system, but it's very rare and getting less common. You do occasionally run into an older game (10+ years generally) that won't run on 64 bit too, although there is often a workaround somewhere.

None that I know of. With newer games you're more likely to have the opposite problem.

As far as Windows operating systems go, I've been really happy with 7, using it for years now. Took a little getting used to in some ways, and I've turned off or disabled a lot of unnecessary extras or "features", but I can't see any reason to choose XP over 7 these days unless you're running an old PC with very limited resources.
  17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Windows 7 will far out perform Windows XP on your old PC. The difference will be dramatic and stunning. Since you mention that you're using it for DAW work, you should know the audio interface (along with just about everything else) is substantially improved on Windows 7 compared to XP. I recommend going for it.
  18. Ayce

Ayce

Your current system should run 7 just fine. Mine is close, and 7 runs pretty good as is. My vid card might be a bit better, so if you can, upgrade that. Memory is sufficient for 32bit. GetCPU-Z and that will give you all the info you need to check if your mobo can handle 7. Get any and all drivers , preferably from the OEM. Also, if you can, go for 7 pro, as it comes with XP compatibility built in, as well as other stuff you may or may not need, but that can be customized out. The lower flavours (home/office versions) don't have it. Makes running XP (and some older) programs run better.

IME/YMMV etc.
  19. guitar ed

guitar ed

Having upgraded several customer computers to Windows 7, DONT! It's a major PITA, and rarely goes well. Plus, your machine will run faster with XP than 7.

If you do choose to do it: 1) Make sure that you have your XP OS disks so that you can reload XP if you choose, because you can't buy it. 2) Back up ALL OF YOUR STUFF. Everything. And verify it.

I have been in and out of the computer biz since 1981. Yes, I'm that old. I've seen more horror stories than you can imagine. Trust me. I'm not a Doctor.

Take care,

edg
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Inaccurate and simply false.

Upgrading from one OS to another is always risky, but a straight install almost always flawlessly installs. And Windows 7 will perform just as well. Ironically, it has a bigger footprint than XP, but manages Services in a much more efficient way.

I've worked as a tech myself and for quite a number of years. Upgrades and installs, I've done thousands. Rarely have I had a problem. Having said that, it's always a much better idea to simply backup all relevant data, wipe everything, and then install the new OS.
  21. zachoff

zachoff

IMO, 7 is superior to XP in every way, especially if you do anything with the web. IIS7 rules over IIS6.

You may want to up to 8G RAM.