moved to bass from guitar

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bobdabilder, Dec 10, 2013.

1. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

I picked up the bass almost a year ago. I am comfortable with it as my hands are much stronger and my agility has improved greatly. my speed during scale runs, arpeggios etc is coming along but my progress is slow. I play bass finger style. every once in a while, i'll play with a pick and my speed is way better with the pick. how do I improve my plucking finger speed? my right and left hands still seem to be connected in my mind (i'm a righty) meaning: when I pluck with my first three fingers and play a scale, i have to pluck in the same order as I finger the frets. How do I improve my speed? HELP!!
    and yes, I practice.

2. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

Two things I find handy...

When you practice MAKE sure you you always alternate fingers. (when you play for "real" sometimes you don't alternate fingers for various reasons but for practice make sure you do though) Then when you work through a scale mix it up.... if you are playing in C you might hit the c once then the d three times then the e maybe once or twice... ext. This gets you used to alternating fingers without thinking about it and makes sure that you will start the pattern with differing fingers.

Another Way of working scales is like this... Lets say we are playing in "C" You hit four notes in order like C D E F then you go back and start from the D and go D E F G then go back and use the E and go E F G A....

3. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

Will try this out. Thanks.

4. Bassquest

Bassquest

Only use your first and second fingers and alternate between them. Try practicing this only on one note slowly then pick up the speed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. deeptubes

deeptubes

Right hand, tap out perididdle with your index and middle - imii, mimm, imii, mimm, etc.

It will help with both speed and agility. I picked it up from a drummer when I was starting out, about 27 years ago. I still do it frequently. I'll do it while watching tv and sometimes do it while I'm driving. I was just doing it while reading this thread. It's automatic for me now.

Do this. All the time. The effect will be dramatic.

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Check out this video at 7:42. Learn the part he is playing, and make yourself alternate fingers. Start slowly! The low pedal note is an open D, and the melody notes are played on the G string.

Warning! Emulate his playing only, not his drinking habits, and definitely not his haircut.

This part (and a lot of other classic metal parts) has an offbeat accent pattern that will cause you to have to reach for that G string with a different finger each time :)D)

8. deeptubes

deeptubes

That was interesting. Growing up, Steve Harris was my idol. Hell, he still is. I use a different technique than shown in the video. I work my index on the D and middle on the G - also on Number Of The Beast, Seventh Son..., etc. Perhaps it's the effect of my perididdle exercises? Comes naturally to me. Can't believe I've never thought of pulling up from the G to D with one finger (raking) and hitting the 2nd open D with the other finger. It looks more efficient and much easier, but my blurry fingers look infinitely cooler :smug:. Gonna go try it right now, but it may require too much concentration for me to use successfully. Will have to overcome muscle memory. Old dog kind of set in his ways.

Thanks for sharing that!

edit: Ahhhhh, now I remember. Many, many moons ago. Didn't feel natural, so I didn't stick with it.

9. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

I'm looking at all of these. Thank you for the replies.

10. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

This has been helpful. It's like I am starting to not think about which finger to use and my left and right hands are not connected anymore. It's hard to explain. I've also started a left hand finger exercise found in another thread where I put all four fingers on the g string 12 fret and up. i alternate right hand between d and g while moving one finger at a time (left hand) from the g string to the d string without removing any fingers away from the string. this is to help with my fingers flying around like i'm hitching a ride.

11. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

the exercise i mention above is similar to this. thanks.
    very cool!

12. Spino

Spino

You could activate the ring finger as well by playing simple exercises alternating with the middle and index fingers .It takes a while tho .G'luck