1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Moving away from stainless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gt96g, Nov 3, 2012.

1. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Been noticing a thinness to the tone in all of my basses lately, Tried some sunbeams, and EB slinkys on a few of my basses and I have been noticing more of a fullness with the nickels, still plenty agressive but with more evenness and balance than any stainless steel strings I have played.
  2. UrsaMinor

UrsaMinor

I've always liked Nickels, and that is my preference. Then again, EB slinkys have been my go to strings for quite sometime. What brand of Stainless were you using, originally?
  3. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

DR highbeams
  4. zachreh

zachreh

i think nickle is the way to go in a band situation
  5. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

If it matters, nickel is easier on your frets, and possibly fingers too.

Anyone know if the tension on stainless and nickel rounds is the same?
  6. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Supporting Member

I agree, steels tear up my hands more as well. I might use stainless for a one time recording gig, but not for regular use.
  7. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

not only that but I am finding their easier to eq, more evenly balanced than steels.
  8. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

You'll be back. ;)
  9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I tried stainless for a while but went back to nickel. They have a fuller sound that I am looking for.