1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Moving from 5 string to 4 string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lowendfriend, Jan 8, 2013.

1. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

Any good advice on how to get through B-string withdrawal?

I decided to try a) a Fender Jazz Bass and b) some blues gigs and jams and a 4 string just seems to fit better than 5.

However, I learned on a 5 string and now am in shock at the absence of the B. Can anyone share their experience on such a move? Key of E seems like an enormous p-i-t-a and it used to be my mainstay. What's the best way to get on with the adjustment? Exercises of sorts?

:bassist:with 1 less string!
  2. gmahoog

gmahoog Supporting Member

Think of the strings and notes from the G string up to the E string instead of the E string down to the G string.

I actually started weening myself from the 5 string by avoiding playing the B string when I could. You might try that for awhile. Just play the notes B through Eb on the B string and everything else on the other strings.

My biggest struggle was playing songs I already played on the 5 string. It really screwed with my head for awhile.

I always thought I'd be a 5 stringer forever until I got my 2012 Fender American Standard Jazz. My favorite bass of all time.

Good luck in the transition.
  3. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

I alternate back and forth at gigs between the 5 or 4. I'm trying to go back to a 4 string for a lot of the songs we do. Try to use the 5'er just for certain songs. I've been starting to transpose some of the 5 string songs back to the 4 string. Just built a killer 4 string "P" bass with a Jazz neck that plays like a dream. All the guys in the band say it sounds better than anything I've used before.
  4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Interesting. I played 4-bangers for 25 years before getting a 6-er, and E/Eminor went from convenient keys to PITAs. gmahoog has a good suggestion, but I always look at bass as buliding from the bottom up, so that wouldn't work for me.

Just play it for a while; you'll adapt.
  5. Asher S

Asher S Supporting Member

It's all personal preference, but here's my 2 cents.

I went from 5 back to 4 a couple of years ago with no regrets; on the contrary. I have no specific exercises to recommend, only some thoughts:

• Limitations and constraints stimulate creativity. I think Jaco said something similar. Personally I found the added string a bit of a distraction, and I used it less and less.
    • It's a myth that there are some tunes that can't be played without a low B. The 4-string still has ~3 octaves-worth of the same 12 tones. I play tunes in Eb, no problem.
    • When it comes to supporting my groups, rhythm and groove trump the added 2.5 tone range, so if you groove, you can do so on a 1-string bass...
    • The lower frequencies need to be amplified properly, regardless of the quality of your bass, it's scale, or the pickups. If you don't have a good amp set up, your lower frequencies will likely lack clarity.

All that said, if you really miss the low B and enjoy playing that much more on a 5+ string bass, then don't give it up. Do whatever makes you happy, which is what will make you practice more and therefore sound better and better.
  6. Asher S

Asher S Supporting Member

The only reason anyone needs ;)

[​IMG]