Moving from Seattle to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hyperba55, Jan 31, 2013.

1. hyperba55

hyperba55

So it's official - I am moving from Seattle to New Orleans in the spring. It's work related and a great career move, and I am excited.

Any NOLA bassists out there? Any tips, tricks, or things to know?

Thanks!
  2. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for The Patrick Godbey Band Supporting Member

I've been here all of my life. Spring is a great time to be here! Good music fest are taking place and it's not to hot outside! Lots of wonderful musicans. Welcome!

Cheers,
    Jim
  3. zfunkman

zfunkman

I lived in Seattle for 10 years. Moved back to L.A. 7 years ago. Just checking out your fine collection I'll asume you are a top notch player. I was involved in and have many friends in the Seattle music scene. I miss Seattle. I miss Skerik, Thadeus, Joe Doria, Ron Weinstien and all those lilttle projects they do. Crack Sabath rocks! Love N.O. too; the summers are a bit rough though. Good Luck!
  4. jmarcus2

jmarcus2

Welcome! Advice? Get out and meet folks.but be ready to sit in. Nobody here cares about your resume.
  5. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

What a fabulous city for music! It's EVERYWHERE!
  6. hyperba55

hyperba55

It is an awesome city - I can't wait.

Any advice on meeting people, getting to jams, starting to make a name? Craigslist in Nola isn't overly active ..

Are thre some jam session posted online?

Thanks!
  7. Raymeous

Raymeous

Grunge to Dixiland? Interesting choice.
  8. geckoman1220

geckoman1220

I'm a bassist in New Orleans, here for college. I also used to live in seattle a few years back. one day I'll move back. I've only been playing with people on campus since being here, so no advice on getting out there and sitting in with people.

great place if you love jazz and brass bands.
  9. hyperba55

hyperba55

Well, grunge isn't alive and well in Seattle (I won't say it's dead yet, but it is getting there). Nola, at least from my experiences, has all different types of music. I hope to put something decent jazz/fusion wise together. That, and maybe a fun party band ...

I just need to know how to start making things happen :)

Zfunkman, I used to live in LA too - back in the mid-90's. fun times!

10. Raymeous

Raymeous

I lived in Washington for a few years and I've visited "nah-lins" and although a they are quite different in over all vibe, they both have an active arts scene. I would probably just head out and check out the local clubs and bars, see what's going on, and make yourself known to the local musicians.

Don't be the "can I sit in" guy. They're annoying. Just go up after the band has packed up and say "Good job" and introduce yourself. Try not to sound too desperate but let them know you're a recent transplant and you play. Generally speaking they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck and enjoy the new life.
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Both of my parents were born there plenty of relatives great town love it congrats and good luck.