1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Moving from UK to OZ. Any tips for DB transport in container?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by RIKODRIKO, Nov 23, 2012.

1. RIKODRIKO

RIKODRIKO

I am moving to oz at the end of the year. Really happy about that!

I have a nice fully carved bass (worth £3K), and its going in the container. So i have a few questions regarding transportation and what to do.

firstly, my main man 4stringfortress sorted me out a decent hard case.

Next ... its going to be 2-3 months in the case and in the container. Should i get a humidifier for the inside of the bass? Or should i me more worried about damp and mould? Should i loosen the strings ?

Last - im moving from the depths of winter here to the heights of summer there. I have heard stories of people saying 'dont take the bass out the case for a bit' as the change in temperature will cause warping and cracking of the table, back or ribs .. Is this true or just an old wives tale?

Any advice here from people who have done this on here?

Thanks

2. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

All I know is that you really should let it acclimate to the new temperature before taking it out of the case.

What is "OZ", by the way?

3. RSBBass

RSBBass

4. Andrew McGregor

Andrew McGregor

Well, I'm about to make the much shorter trip from .nz to .au, but then my bass will be going by air so I don't have quite so much to worry about.

Loosen the strings a bit, the temperature variation in that container could be rather large and you don't want it getting really cold and tightening them up too far. Don't humidify, the chances of that going wrong are pretty high and the container is a closed box... therefore it can't get insanely dry in there.

5. Register to disable this ad