1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

moving to something better- need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bernardfunke, Nov 20, 2012.

1. bernardfunke

bernardfunke

Hi gents,

Recently I decided to move into a something different/better than my Squier Jazz bass. I´m checking on the 500€ nitch for a 4s second hand bass.
    I´m considering to look for a MusicMan S.U.B. (American one), a MIM Active Jazz Bass, or even an old Peavey T-40 (rick for poor people I´ve heard).
    I would appreciate any advice with this basses, and with some other falling on the same price range...
    Everyone has its pros and cons, Peavey seems to be the vintage option, while JB is the most versatile and SUB is the funkiest one...
    Just waiting for your opinions...:hyper:
    Tnx
  2. ShadowVampyre

ShadowVampyre Supporting Member

Fender blacktop jazz
  3. iiipopes

iiipopes

Peavey is not a "poor man's Rick." First, it is heavy: @10 lbs+ of northern (baseball bat) ash. second, you may or may not like the tone of the humbuckers. Third, 500 euros is too much for one of them in any event.

A good used Japan Squier or such Jazz would be preferable. For ultimate versatility, a P-J setup would be good.
  4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

$500 may be too much in the US. €500 may be the going rate in Europe - they're not very common this side of the Atlantic and aren't as cheap as a result.
  5. Wallace320

Wallace320

and you can have it for maybe something less than €. 500,00 if secondhand. For instance, I sold mine (completely stock, except for RotoSound swing 66 strings, full step dowtuned and with Hipshot BT7 bass extender) for €. 530,00

Cheers,
    Wallace
  6. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    check out a used brubaker brute. They're going for good prices. Where are you located?
  7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

SUB's might be hard to come by these days. The NEW (non american) SUBS are pretty nice for the price.
  8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I have two U.S. SUBs and the 4 string is a mighty fine bass. The jury is still out on the 5; I haven't swapped the preamp and the strings I put on it are the new formula DR Black Beauties which I have come to hate with a passion (why did they change them?!). If I lost all my gear I'd buy another U.S. SUB 4 before a MIM Jazz or a Peavey T40. I like the sound of the T40s but they always weigh a ton, the MIM Jazz is comfy but doesn't sound as good as the SUB 4. Personal opinions and all that.
  9. chef wong

chef wong

It all depends on a couple things. Is the Squier one of the old ones from the earlier 80's? If that's the case, I'd just hang on to that. End of discussion.

The Squier Classic Vibes are very nice(if that's what you have). But I think a Peavey T40 in good working condition trumps those. The T40 isn't the most comfortable bass in the world, I know. They're high on quality and tone though. They used some of the best ash wood I've ever seen on those basses. I seem to remember a bazillion options for tone with the T40...

Aren't the Music Man Subs(U.S) made of poplar?

I think you could do better than the Fender you mentioned with the $500.

With all things said:

If you're a funk player, you should consider sticking with the string spacing of the Jazz..especially if you play slap. There's an adjustment of thumb technique needed there. If you search enough..you'll find an American Fender Jazz for $500ish.
  10. bernardfunke

bernardfunke

Hi,
    thanks for all you replies!
    Currently I´m travelling from Germany to Spain almost every week, far away from the states...
    So, the used basses I mentioned correspond to the prices in euros for Europe... I would like to see a T-40 in good condition for $350 here ;) Nothing but good reviews from this bass and killer sound and look, but I don't how it will sound in my hands...

My squier is a Vintage modified NT from 2010(Priced about €330 here), the first I bought. It feels really confortable, and with solid construction. I think it could be a bit noisy (single pickups), so this why I felt curious about the Fender Noiseless.
    Also GASed by american SUB's and Sterlings, but I don't know the differences between them.

Christmas is coming... So many basses, so little time! :help:
  11. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

If you can get one of the older MIA SUBs in good condition, I'd say grab it - they're basically a "plain jane" Stingray Classic in literally every way, and bound to go up in value - besides being a great player... The SUB Sterlings are fairly rare - the main differences between them and the regular SUB is the narrow "jazz-like" neck, 3 band preamp instead of 2, and the smaller, lighter Sterling body shape...

- georgestrings
  12. bernardfunke

bernardfunke

Hi again,
    I took the advice, about the American SUBS. I have reached two of them. Both in apparently good shape and the same price.
    one of them is active and the other pasive. as far as I know the active was in option for an extra charge.
    I guess that the active tone would be more versatile and agressive, like in the active Fenders, so i think I´ll pick the active... Any pros-cons?
  13. georgestrings

Yeah, definitely take the active one - that's what makes a Stingray sound like it does... If it still has the original electronics, it has the same exact setup that a Stingray Classic does - including the highly desireable 2 band preamp...
    Killer basses, made for a lifetime of excellence - buy with confidence, and be sure to post some pics afterwards...

- georgestrings
  14. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

An American SUB is a great bass for the $$$ IMO. I gigged one for a couple of years.

Same as a regular Stingray, but different finish, pickguard and generally passive (but lots of actives out there).

I don't expect them to increase in value at all (they have actually gone down in the last 5-6 years) as a used Stingray can be had for $750-900.... Why pay more than $500-550 for a no frills version?

A T40 is a nice bass (I have had 2) but super heavy (mine were 11.5-12lbs) and the neck is like a baseball bat.
  15. georgestrings

A couple of things - the passive SUBs are far less common than the actives, and regarding value: I'm thinking that since the imports are quite popular, the older, far less common MIAs are more likely to go up in value rather than down... and from what I've seen, the MIA SUBS haven't gone down in the last 5-6 years - after all when was the last time you saw a decent one for less than $400??? They used to pop up for $300 or so all the time - not any more...

- georgestrings
  16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Great move on the SUB but buy the 2 band active one. A stingray isn't a stingray unless it's active. Also, don't worry about the goofy stock pickguard that comes with it, you can replace it with a stingray pickguard of your choice. The finish may look a little odd at first, it's a satin textured finish, but it's hard as can be and is actually fantastic for a gigging bass. Mine took numerous hits and never even got a scratch on it. The necks are quite nice and you'll come to love the spoke truss end, it's sooo easy to tweak the neck for more or less relief. The tuners and bridge are all stable and work well. As for strings, the SUB is one of the most responsive basses I own for string changes. Different strings will completely change the sound of this bass which makes it even more flexible than you would think a one pickup 2 band bass could be, it's not a one trick pony.
  17. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

It sounds like you mostly like your VM jazz...why don't you just upgrade the electronics and hardware on it?

I have a stock VM jazz, and it isn't that far off in playability and quality than a mid to upper priced Fender; in fact, it's better than many I've played.
  18. georgestrings

Lipstick on a pig - one of the older SUBs he's looking into is a FAR better instrument than a VM Jazz, and no - a VM Jazz is not better than a "mid to upper priced Fender"...

Squier fans just don't seem to get that not everyone wants to play an entry level instrument for the rest of their days... I've played and owned plenty of Squiers - but the BS has gotta stop...

- georgestrings
  19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    +1
  20. bernardfunke

bernardfunke

This was really clarifying.
    I feel really used to listen JBass or Pbass everywhere and I really like. But I didn't want to stay always in the same sound, maybe with the time and some basses later, I would go back to the Jazz Basses... or not! I think that trying will make me a better player.
    Also, feeling you have an instrument in the average, is a plus instead of having an entry level instrument. I considered upgrading the VW Squier, but pickups+electronics+brigde left me really close to the 500€ (including the instrument). I cannot afford a real Stringray but I really appreciate the effort of a brand that lost moneywhile trying to keep producing with original standards.
    I´m till gasseD by the T-40 look, but I see the SUB would be better as the only bass on my arsenal.