1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Moving your gear, yourself!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Any nifty gadgets anyone might recommend to help move gear without blowing your back out? Years ago I had this little folding contraption that fixed into a cart or at the pull of two pins I could make it a dolly.

It liked to damage the skin covering on the marshall cabs however. Any way of doing this with a better product now days?

What do you use?
  2. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I use exactly the folding cart you mention. If you discovered that it damaged your amps or cabs, then get covers or cases. That's part of the deal as soon as you take your gear out the door. But I always figured that battle scars are part of gigging. As long as my amps or speakers weren't structurally threatened, I didn't sweat it.
  3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

What I had I had back in 1992 and I think I got it at home depot. Old tech. I saw something at Costco that did not look like it would scrape up the cab skins but don't know if they still have it or if I can afford it.

I wrote on mine "Instant Roadie" the Drummer walked by and it got a laugh out of him.
  4. bassisten

bassisten

I would recommend a trolley (foldable) with air-filled wheels with a decent size to them, solid ones tend to get stuck all over the place.

I use bungee chords to tie down my amp and cab, works like a charm, otherwise they'll jump around if you roll over uneven ground/curbs.
  5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

There are plenty of lightweight carts available today for those willing to take the time to do a simple google search. I have a "Magna Cart" and it works great for my needs.

Cabs getting scraped up? It's not some design flaw in the cart, rather user error. Getting a cover for the cab is a simple fix.
  6. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I had covers but they were thin plastic for my Marshall cabs. I watched what I did so damage was minimal but unlike a fixed steel dolly this thing I had had two nuts sticking out on the backing where anything you moved would rest on.

Not so much a design flaw as it was simply not a specialized cart for moving music gear.
  7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

8. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR