Mr. DiMarzio, are you crazy?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 2cooltoolz, Nov 12, 2012.

1. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

I have to wonder what you're thinking!! You build 5 string "J" pickups, the Area J 5 and Ultra Jazz 5, that won't fit the Fender Jazz Bass 5 (V)! Are you mad about something? I almost ordered a pair of the Area Js, until a reviewer wized me up about the size. If they would fit, I would have a pair on my bass now!
    So I went with Seymour. They're in the mail. Could have been you.

I have to believe this isn't the only sale it cost you.

Your friend, Jon

PS. To all the helpful TBers who are just dying to point out that this has been discussed before, thank you in advance for your input.
  2. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

Does seem kind of strange.

That being said, the Area J's in my 4 string Spector are the cat's arse. They are phenomenal.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Yep. That's just dumb. Not making a Fender retrofit these days is like making a non-regulation baseball bat. What's the point of being different if it narrows your market so much?
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the question is, what is the most popular size for 5-string jazz pickups?

i suspect fender USA jazz Vs are wider than most.

(this is kinda tough, because unlike 4-strings, there really is no standard size for 5-string pickups. fender does not dominate the 5-string bass market the way they defined the 4-string all those years ago.)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

walterw,
    you are one of my Gurus, and I follow the Gospel according to..(shared with a few others...sorry), but...

Thanks to the big oogily-boogily that some of the "lesser" manufacturers (Nordstrand, Fralin, SD, Sadowski(?), Bartolini, Aguilar, Delano, EMG) have dared to step out of the no-Fender-sized box and produce pickups for the non-standard Fender 5s.
  7. walterw

ha! true enough, even the other biggie (seymour duncan) makes a 5-string jazz that will fit.

i still wonder about overall market share of fender 5-sized vs. other sizes (which are mostly narrower, i would guess).
  8. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

Fender makes a size for their 5-strings that has a 3.965” on the neck and 4.10” on the bridge.
    But then they go and sell Squier basses that uses a different size, 3.725” for both. This is also the size that Sadowsky, and MANY other non-Fender basses use.
    In fact, in most cases, when it comes to 5-string Jazzes, Fender is the oddball here.
    That said, there are plenty of manufacturers out there that offer the Fender-size pickups. Dimarzio and Sadowsky (made for Sadowsky by Dimarzio) are exceptions.
  9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, oddly, I dropped a Dimarzio Ultra J as the "J" in my Squire PJ and while it took a tiny bit of sanding to fit the ends of the rout it ended up one KILLER pickup.

Since I also own a MIM Fender Jazz V. I was mightily wishing Dimarzio had something equally cool for that too. No dice. So it ended up with Fender SCN pickups. Just excellent, which is why I presume Fender had to discontinue them.
  10. nandinga

nandinga

Read in other thread that a cover change (couple of bucks) might be a solution for the difference in sizes between the Fender and the DiMarzio, but haven't found anyone that has done it yet.
  11. walterw

dimarzio J covers don't come off.

even if they did, a different-sized cover wouldn't fit on the pickup.
  12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I believe the Area J's have replaceable covers. As long as the pole piece holes line up, no reason a different sized cover wouldn't work.
  13. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Correct. Area J covers pop right off.
  14. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    I know for a fact it cost them money, thank you, Nordstrand!
  15. walterw

that's just what i'd expect not to happen...:(
  16. nandinga

nandinga

I've wrote to DiMarzio's customer support:

And got this reply:

I'm still not convinced 100%... Haven't found other pu's with even nearly as good reviews as these, so I might go wild with a Dremel xD
  17. nandinga

nandinga

The only REAL preoccupation still in the back of my head is whether the poles will align well enough to my strings...
  18. M0ses

M0ses

But they do define what a JAZZ BASS is. If it says it fits a J, it needs to fit a Fender J.
  19. miles'tone

miles'tone

I'm just wondering how long it's gonna take Dimarzio to realise they really should be making a Model P5 pickup now (DP1225?).
  20. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I completely understand the right of other bass manufacturers to make their basses with pickups that don't fall under Fender space. That's not even an argument. But what I don't understand is why a major pickup manufacturer would not make a direct Fender retrofit of every pickup they make. Even if (for instance) Sadowsky, Lakland, and 10 other manufacturers' combined sales exceed what Fender does by itself, Fender is still a huge segment of the market. So, again, why would you NOT make them? Why would you excluded so many potential customers? That just doesn't make good business sense to me.

Whether or not you like Fender JV's or even DiMarzio pickups is irrelevant in this discussion. I would ask the same thing of a headlight manufacturer that does not make headlights that retrofit on a Ford. It doesn't matter which brand name they exclude, if it is a major market share, it is just silly.
  21. therhodeo

therhodeo

This is a 5 string though. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that Fender define's anything with a B string. They can't even get their basses to define the low B.