1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MSMW recommended listening

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Randyt, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    just asking what is your favourite CD from either one of these Band members..Wood is a tremendous Bass Player!!, My favourite as a joint effort is "in Case the World Changes its Mind" LIVE

What else would you recommend???...Im seeing if Im missing any vital listening from any of these guys.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Not a CD but required listening:

You see JS getting into the zone right before he starts the tune.

3. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Supporting Member

Shack Man, yupperz. Def Shack Man. You think Im joking? Its got Bubblehouse damnit.

4. JimK

JimK

John Medeski on Lunar Crush with Screaming Headless Torsos guitarist (Fuse) & bassist (Fima Ephron. Slamming.
    A sample-

As MM&W-
    I really like their debut, Notes from the Underground. More acoustic straightahead-ish vs. the organ trio Funk thing.

Scofield?
    His stint with Miles Davis (Decoy & Star People), his Funk 4-tet with Dennis Chambers/Gary Grainger, the more recent "Groove-Jazz" things (Überjam, A Go Go, etc.), the '70s Fusion 4-tet, Cobham-Duke band...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    Thanks guys...I have most of these already...but when searching theres always something or someone that pops up that looks/sounds totally cool!!

Thanks

7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've been an MMW fan for as long as I can remember. I've seen them at least a couple dozen times over the years, own almost all the albums, and have even attended their summer music camp a couple of times. I think Scofield is great, and love the MSMW stuff, but at the end of the day I actually prefer MMW as a trio. The three of them together is about all the music I can handle at once.

Given that context, I've gotta say that my favorite MMW is the purely acoustic stuff, from the album Notes from the Underground (as someone else mentioned) to their latest release (recorded live on their most recent acoustic tour, some years ago). Among their albums, my favorite has got to be "Tonic." There's something about the acoustic format that brings out the best and most creative in these guys, IMHO.

Chris Wood, man. Wow.

8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I posted this in another MMW-related thread but just realized I should do so here as well. MMW has a west-coast tour scheduled for April, starting in Washington and ending in San Diego:

http://www.mmw.net/index.php/news/article/912

The site says that these are all acoustic shows, with a couple of noted exceptions. I saw one of these "acoustic" shows a few months ago in Annapolis, and it was a face-peeler.