MTD 535 Cherry Burst

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Blues Infidel, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues Infidel

Blues Infidel Gold Supporting Member

This is easily one of the best basses I’ve ever played. It’s also my favorite color for MTD’s. Unfortunately, as much as I love this bass, the 19mm spacing on a 35” scale is just not working for me. I am much more comfortable with a Sadowsky or Roscoe neck.

I got this guy used and don’t have a build sheet, but I believe it is burl maple over ash, with a rosewood capped maple neck. This wood combo really makes this bass sit well in a live mix without getting lost. Subtle adjustments to the EQ take you from modern slap, to burpy fingerstyle, to thick ‘P-bass like’ tone. It’s the most versatile bass I own.

It has been played and has a couple of minor dings here and there and the typical wear on the covers and a slight spot over one of the pickups where the finish has gotten a little shinier. I've heard that this change in the finish on USA MTD's is not uncommon. It's really hard to see unless the light hits it just right and even then its very subtle. I know it’s cliché, but photos (especially mine) don’t do this bass justice. It’s also a nice weight at just slightly over 9 lbs. Bass comes with an InCase case.

At this time I am only looking for trades. I would consider the following as part of a trade deal +/- cash as appropriate:

- Sadowsky 4 or 5 string.
    - Roscoe 5
    - Ken Smith 5

Any trades would need to be light, around 9 lbs or less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More photos: http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/bluesinfidel/library/MTD%20535
  2. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Beautiful! I love my cherry burst MTD. Somebody should snatch this one up. These are fantastic basses.
  3. Blues Infidel

Added some close-ups in bright light to show the very minor dings on this bass. I purposely shined the light directly into any depressions, which of course makes anything look 10X worse than it is, but they are there for reference.

Also added photos of the InCase case. I had never seen one before, but it's pretty cool.
  4. Blues Infidel

Getting some interesting offers, but nothing firm yet. Keep them coming.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Blues Infidel

I thought it would be helpful to copy answers to some questions folks have PM'd to me.

The Case: I don't know what the original case for this bass was. It comes with the InCase case shown in the photos. Its what the bass was in when it came to me.

Tone: I got more questions about tone. Keeping in mind this is all extremely subjective and IME only. I had another 535 a few years ago. It was the classic tulipwood body, burl myrtlewood top, wenge neck and fingerboard. Sounded fantastic on its own, but would get lost with my band. I think if you played R&B or Gospel or smooth jazz, something with a lot of slap technique and no loud guitars, it would have been great. And of course, amplification is a factor as well.

OTOH - this guy holds his own with rock guitars and then some, and still has a nice slap tone if that's what you want. It really covers about any tone I want. It can be cutting or thick or punchy, depending on the EQ and pickup balance. But honestly, its flat EQ/balanced pup tone works for me 90% of the time.
  7. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

Very nice! PM sent
  8. Blues Infidel

9. Harrisonchristo

Harrisonchristo

Do you have any interest in an upright bass for trade?
  10. Blues Infidel

Thanks, but I don't play upright.
  11. Blues Infidel

12. Blues Infidel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.