MTD CRB 5 - a question for owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miles'tone, Jan 25, 2014.

1. miles'tone

miles'tone

Hi there all

The MTD CRB 5 came out a few years ago now and it's always intrigued me although I've never really needed a 5 string. Until now.
    I've read everything I could find about them here on TB but mainly the info is from first impressions.
    What do you guys who have bought and lived with this bass for a couple of years or so say now? Happy? Got rid?
    I need a five and I'm really just a P bass guy but can't afford an Am Standard 5. Besides, I like the extra touches Mike Tobias has brought to the P concept (and the price! :) ), plus I need lightweight basses now due to an ongoing back problem.

Any input from you guys will be much appreciated.

Cheers!
  2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Looks like a great bass, at a good price from Bass Direct too. Only downside I have heard is they sound very bright, I read a thread somewhere saying they had to replace the 1M pots with 500K ones to tame it (Fenders use 250K!).

Have you considered the Yamaha BB range? I had a Fender P5 but sold it as I preferred my cheapo BB415, and there's one of those in the basschat.co.uk classifieds right now! The Schecter Diamond P5 is worth a look too, and of course, if you didn't know already, Squier now make a proper P5 too!
  3. miles'tone

miles'tone

Hey thanks Danny.
    Yes Bass direct is where I've been looking at them. They have one there that weighs a tad less than 8lbs, which is the kind of weight I'm looking for.
    I am aware of the others you kindly mentioned but the Schecters seem to average at around 10lbs and I believe the Yammy BB5's aren't so lightweight either (although they do have a good rep).
    Also, I don't need the extra bridge pups. Just a straight easy P config will do me.
    The Squire VM5s look good but I know how these things go and by the time I've upgraded the tuners to lightweights (weight and balance really is the deal breaker for me) and probably the pickup, it will end up costing more than the MTD.
    I guess I'm just hoping that the MTD would be good out of the box and not need modding. A couple of pots I could do easily enough to suit personal preference but to be honest I'm sick of just constantly having basses in bits modding and setting up (do it myself quite competently). I just want to spend what little time I have playing basses now!

Just want to know if they are as good as they seem as The Bass Whisperer certainly thought highly of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM_51fsABgc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Sounds like the bass for you then! Never seen a bad review of one, I was very close to getting one myself but opted for a BB1025X in the end.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. miles'tone

miles'tone

Bump. Anyone here been playing one for a while now?
  7. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Sorry, can't say I've played one other than in store (yes, at Bass Direct) and I was very impressed witht he sound and feel. My first fiver was a MTD Kingston Heir but in the end I didn't gel with the sound - I prefer the passive P or P/J sound. But the quality and feel, particularly the asymmetric neck, was excellect.

Depending how much money you're thinking of, another option would be an ACG custom. I know what you're thinking, but you can get a passive 5-string from £795 for a hand-built custom bass (specs here). I chose mine to get the best of the MTD Kingston (5 strings, asymmetric neck) with the passive P/J setup I wanted, and it absolutely delivers.

Sorry for doing the usual Talkbass thing of recommending something other than what you're asking about! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the CRB from my limited experience of it - but if you have the funds available then I can't help but recommend ACG.
  8. miles'tone

miles'tone

Thanks a lot for that. I am aware of the ACG basses as they have a really good rep on Basschat. Unfortunately they are out of my price range. My budget is tied up in an excellent bitsa P bass I put together which if I part out on www.basschat.co.uk I will have enough (just) for the CRB 5 (been selling bits and pieces on there for a while so I know how much things realistically go for - usually less than you'd hope! ;) ) It would mean losing my really good P so I have to know if it would be worth it long term. Well, at least get more of an idea about it.
    Thanks very much for your input there soverytired, it's much appreciated.

Cheers.
  9. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

No problem - sorry I couldn't answer better from experience. They're not the most common of basses, even within the MTD Kingston range. You could try the MTD (non-US) thread.

I'm guessing you're not quite close enough to the border to get over to Bass Direct and try it out? Or they do have a stand at the London Bass show in March if you wanted to make a day out of it.
  10. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Hey I don't have personal experience, but I have a few observations from the video alone (not a huge sample size, I know). One pro, one con (sort of). I thought the B did sound very good considering the price, that might not be easy to come by elsewhere.

It did, however, sound really bright and that Ed (a great great player) was doing his best to EQ/get more traditional P tones out of it. That said, an instrument being too bright is one of the easiest things to alter. Even changing the strings can go a long way to taming an instrument that is too bright. And if thats not enough, as someone mentioned earlier, changing out the pots is a bout as minor of a modification you can make.

If weight is a big factor and it has the features you want, I wouldn't worry about the brightness, that can be accounted for. Seems like you've done your homework to me!