1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MTD Heir and Artist question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Strat Hater, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

What are the neck profiles like and the weight of these basses?

What would you compare the neck to; Jazz, P, Ibanez SR, Thunderbird, that Kramer with a asymmetrical neck, etc...

I have a chance at one of each new for excellent prices, but they have to be shipped, so I can't try them and have never played any MTD's before. The closest I have come is an Epi Toby, which I know is not even in the same country yet alone ball park.

BTW they are both 4 strings
  2. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

The weights can vary a lot with these basses. I've had heavy ones (9+ lbs.) and light ones (6+ lbs.). You kind of need to ask what the weights are of each one you're interested in.
  3. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Thanks,

Any info on the neck?
  4. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

I owned an Heir 5. It was a Korean model, 2007 i think, and the neck felt great. Like an MTD, but it was still pretty thin for me. I had it replaced with a KZX neck and that was a whole different ball game. It still had the sweet MTD shape and profile, but in (to me at least) a much beefier, heartier context than that of the original neck. if that makes sense. There was just MORE of it. Mine was over 9lbs, and that may have gone up slightly when i added the new neck.

The neck is awesome. Besides the fact mine was stolen, i just couldn't get used to the 35" scale. As far as being able to play all over the fretboard, it was a treat. Again, just that dang 35" scale. I wasn't really too impressed with the stock pre and pickups. I didn't own it long enough to do any other mods.
  5. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen

Mine's a 5 string, 35" scale, 9 lbs. (Kingston Heir 5). My 2003 (passive) Korean made has an asymmetrical neck. More round on the B side and more triangular on the G side (for lack of a better description). About 1-3/4" at the nut and about 3-3/8" at the 24th fret. The asymmetry is subtle but you can feel it.
    [​IMG]
  6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Something like this Korean Artist?

[​IMG]

Plays incredibly easily, weighs exactly 8 lbs. Typical MTD assymetrical neck profile (which is great). I don't compare these necks to anything else, MTD's have a feel of their own, even the cheap imports. Overall the bass is ergonomic perfection.

But...the stock elecs package is the weak link, it sounds thin. I bought a Basslines replacement pup and preamp for it, but haven't had time to install it yet. Once the SD stuff is in, this should be a superb little bass.

I think the new ones are MIC though, so...
  7. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Here's a pic of mine after i had the KZX neck installed. That was a chinese neck, but pretty slick. The fretboard was beautiful! 4 months later it was gone along with the rest of my stuff.

And yes, i REALLY hate thieves.

Attached Files:

8. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

The necks vary a bit too. I sanded the neck down on the Heir that I had because it was a bit thicker than any I'd had before. The KZ and the Beast I had were fine. I'd compare them to a jazz neck in width but they are asymmetrical so slightly fatter on the E string side and thinner on the G string side.
  9. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

This is the exact one I am looking at
  10. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Can't really compare these necks to anything else; they are their own thing. Imo, they are one of the most comfortable necks out there. Thickness varies. My Korean Artist is on the beefy side, and I also have a Korean KZ that's thinner, but otherwise they are the same shape and they both play and feel great.

/rick
  11. Gabriel51

Gabriel51 Supporting Member

This Artist weights 8.25 Lbs., has a thin neck and plays great.

[​IMG]