MTD Kingston Heir 5 tone pot replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by totallyfrozen, Jul 8, 2013.

1. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen

I did a search and found a 5 year old thread that never answered this question.

I have an '03 MTD Kingston Heir 5 (passive) and the tone pot is now crackling. It could be that it's simply dirty because it crackles when I turn it; however, it also seems to have other issues. If I turn the pot all the down (remove all treble) at the very bottom of the sweep (where it can't turn any more), it gives MAX treble. Then if I start to turn it up (it crackles and...) when I get the dial just a slight bit off the end of the sweep it gives me full bass and no treble. Also, it crackles through the entire range of the sweep when I turn the dial.

I have a few questions that I want to ask before I grab the screwdriver and start digging around in there.

Where can I get a replacement pot that is designed for this bass?

Is there a better pot than the stock pot that I can upgrade to since I have to replace it anyway?

DO I actually need to replace the pot or is there another solution?

Keep in mind that I haven't yet opened the back of the bass yet so I don't have specifics on the potentiometer yet. If I start getting questions about the pot (e.g. markings, etc.) then I'll need to open the bass up (which I will do. I'm not afraid to. I just haven't had the time yet).

Thanks for any help, gang!

P.S. Does Michael Tobias visit TB?

2. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Can't answer about the fix from experience (I had the newer active model of Kingston Heir) but I do know that I've e-mailed the company a couple of times with questions and Mike himself answered.

3. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen

Thanks.
    I'll try that.