1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MTD Kingston Saratoga vs Yamaha TRBX 504

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RWBASSIST, Dec 11, 2013.

1. RWBASSIST

RWBASSIST

So, I'm getting ready to buy a new bass and I'm back and forth between these two. Electronics aside, although I do like the option of the active/passive switch on the Yamaha, anybody have thoughts on the better option as far as playability, dependability, action, etc? I probably can't go wrong with either one, but any insight would be appreciated!
  2. therhodeo

therhodeo

Both brands make great basses for the price. I own a Kinston Artist that I love and the last bass I played in store that really made me want to buy it was a Yamaha RBX375. Can you play either of them before buying?
  3. RWBASSIST

RWBASSIST

I plan on buying online. The MTD has gotten good reviews from everything I've seen and the TRBX may be too new to get any feedback on, but I really want this to be my go to bass. I know both companies put out quality product, I'm just on the fence and need to decide.
  4. therhodeo

therhodeo

Yamaha makes a good product and that one seems to have good features. It is new enough that there aren't alot of reviews. To me if I thought at some point I wanted to mod the bass electronics wise the Saratoga would be a better fit due to its standard jazz pickups. I would say if you can't play one in person though pick the one you like best and has the features you want and run with it. Make it your own.
  5. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Haven't tried that particular Yamaha but played MTD Kingston Saratoga for a while. To be honest I personally didn't like it. Although the design is one of the best on the market the wood was dull and the electronics sounded very cheap. US made MTDs are completely different league though. These are the best in the business! :)