1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MTD Kingston z 6 not working

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sivarTTravis, Nov 27, 2012.

1. sivarTTravis

sivarTTravis

Got a problem that happened tonight With my MTD Kingston z 6 want to see if any of you can diagnosis it.

When i plug it into my amp its not making any noise (i know its not the amp because my other bass works fine) When i turn the MIDDLE KNOB ON THE BOTTOM ROW it makes a popping noise. This knob is a push pull and it makes the popping noise when turned.. pushed in or pulled out.

I checked the battery with the good old tongue method and it seemed to be fine but i replaced it with a brand new copper top anyways.

Any ideas??? :crying::help:
  2. sivarTTravis

sivarTTravis

3. sivarTTravis

sivarTTravis

sorry to post so much so fast but now its working but only with the volume knob pulled out. This has never happened before the volume seems to be really low compared to how it is normally. I never even knew these knobs pulled out (only have had it a month, bought used)
  4. ejmy

ejmy

Dead battery or sometghing wrong with the preamp.
    Becomes passive with the volume knob pulled out, so output is much lower.
  5. George M.

George M.

Try to check said potentiometer from inside if exist any failture, like broken wire or not soldered. If it looks fine, clean the potentiometer using "contact spray". If the problem persist, replace the potentiometer.
    Also check all wires to be connected properly.
  6. sivarTTravis

sivarTTravis

emailed MTD and tobius himself emailed me back right away asked me where i live and forwarded the email to a tec in my area. dana b good the tec emailed me going to put it on their bench this week.

MTD customer service is A+++++++++++++++

new to the forum do you guys like updates on what the end result is?
  7. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Seriously Michael Tobias is a true gentleman! I also talked to him on the phone when I needed a hard shell case for my MTD Kingston Z 5 string(lefthand) and he was very helpful and set me up with a case for his American made basses.
  8. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

Could it be a loose wire?
  9. sivarTTravis

sivarTTravis

i did look around and didnt find anything loose and nothing seems to be touching to cause a shortage . because it is popping when i turn the knobs i thought that could be the problem. it maybe that i dont have an eye for loose solders but everything seems to be connected correctly
  10. natw42

natw42

yup! That's how we roll around here
  11. sivarTTravis

sivarTTravis

well then here it is.

I called Dana at dana b goods. and he said to bring my bass with me any time between 9 and 5. so i got off work at 4:00 drove home and got to his shop around 4:55 and his wife greets me and gets Dana.

What an awesome guy! I was expecting to drop off the bass and comeback in a day or two, But he just grabs the bass and opens it up. he noticed some solders he didnt like right away and re did them, then cleaned the inside. Did the intonation. and Bang the bass is working as good as new.

I didnt even notice when looking on the inside but the PO of my bass added an Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp. Guess thats why their are push pull knobs on the middle and volume.

So dana be goods is a distributor Of mtd Kingston basses and Dana is a warranty repair tech for MTD and aria and a bunch of other brands.

Super nice people they have an ebay store and a website if you want to check out some b stock mtd stuff.

its pretty cool their warehouse is about 15 minutes from me. who would have known

Thanks for all the tips