1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MTD KZ5 vs. Fender American J Deluxe V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Justbleazy, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

I've been playing the bass for almost 4 years now (spring break in March's help me to remember). I've been a 4 string bassist until a week and a half ago when I bought the Fender Squier J Deluxe Active V. Man, was I blown away at the "bass" from from this bass. People at church have complimented me on my tone and have said it sounds better than my old one! I've actually haven't played my GC FSR 70's J Active (4 string) since I've bought the Squier.

Now that the Squier requires me to really learn the fretboard (no dot inlays), I've learned more in the last week than I've done in a long time. Which brings me to the question at hand. I really like the Squier but the flaws are very evident like the nicks and marks on the neck and the extremely tight knobs to the point I literally have to use force to adjust the treble knob. The weight isn't that bad on the Squier but I've read the two basses in question are lighter in weight. The G string is also kind of weal but that can be adjusted....I think.

I know what sounds to expect from the KZ5 and the J Deluxe, but what are some of the pro's and con's for each bass? I guess what I'm hoping for is the Fender Squier J Active V to the 20th power in the Fender American J Deluxe V:D:D

I do know the following:

MTD KZ5 -
    Pros = Very versatile tone wise, asymetrical neck, light weight, 35 in. scale, 24 frets.

Cons = Lest than stellar electronics, upgrades would put me at the cost of the Fender J Deluxe.

Oh yeah, I play Gospel, Jazz, and R&B and I won't be making this purchase immediately, but hopefully sometime by the end of this year. Thanks!
  2. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

The issues you mentioned don't warrant getting a new bass, just $20 in tech work which you could do yourself and save even that much.
  3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

The MTD is a 35 scale, the Fender a 34. Also different nut widths, the feel is going to be very different from one to the other. Obviously the MTD is going to be pretty modern sounding, but a Fender American Deluxe is also pretty versatile.
    The Fender is more my speed, personally.
  4. ModulusQ5-122

ModulusQ5-122 Supporting Member

Deluxe all the way. I've owned a few of both.
  5. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Anything in particular that makes you lean toward the deluxe?
  6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    MTD is also lighter by a pound or so. I'd be tempted to go that way.
  7. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

I'll probably look for a used MTD KZ5 and possibly upgrade the electronics and then wait to get the Deluxe later on. With the Fender, I know what I'm getting into, but the KZ5 seems really nice, but I do see a lot of them used:meh: