1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MTD(usa) or Brubaker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjizzel, Dec 14, 2013.

1. kjizzel

kjizzel

I am interested in getting a custom bass and I guess I am torn between ordering a brubaker kxb6 single cut or an MTD Custom. I play plenty of funk, gospel, rock. Right now I am using the ampeg 8x10 with the classic tube head and its killer. I need some help let me know what you think.
  2. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    If you decide that you do not like the bass after some time. I think the MTD will be easier to sell. Single cuts are not for everybody. Have you ever gigged with a singlecut bass?
  3. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

4. kjizzel

kjizzel

I have never gigged with a single cut brubaker I just have been listening to it online on youtube.
  5. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

MTD hands down.
  6. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    MTD and Brubaker are two different animals, but both are preferred by players in the genre you play in.

I would recommend that you watch some YouTube vids and reach out to the guys on the video and ask them why they chose the bass and also ask if they have both in their collection. Many of them do.
  7. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

.down hands MTD
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Brubaker makes a range of basses. Not just singlecuts.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

What a tough decision, and one I don't envy!

MTD is about as fine as you can get in a bass made in a 'standard' way.

But man a Brubaker...deep inset neck, swappable preamps...about as good you can get in something a little different.

To me, Wal and Brubaker are 'holy grail' instruments. I'd also look at a Roscoe.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    Have you? Better yet have you gigged a KXB?
    :)

Many who haven't think there may be a difference.

Most folks find no difference between gigging with double- or singlecut instruments. Because there really isn't one in the case of Brubakers. The extra wood up top really isn't a factor for most players. It's not in the way. Brubakers are designed with neck through like upper fret access. And they're a hybrid of bolt-on and neck through.

Both brands make great basses. I own both of the basses the OP mention and predominantly use Brubakers. But that's me. Best advice as usual is to try and get your hands on a few examples of each.

Brubakers are extremely versatile so if you see a clip or two don't think that's the sum total of what they're capable of.

As far as easier to sell, my first year gloss 635 is still for sale after several months. Coming up with funds is independent of each bass.
    :D
  11. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

If you're spending that much, why not get a Fodera, or, an Alembic?
  12. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

Love Mike's MTD basses. No disrespect for the Brubaker.
  13. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Alembics sound awesome but the playing comfort is not up to MTD. The necks are far from MTDs and they might get quite neck-heavy. But yes, Alembics sound great, that's true.

PS! I have played some pretty lifeless Foderas too. :(
  14. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

I've only played the import MTD, and oh yes was it awesome.
  15. mustBmtd

mustBmtd

Just A Thought! If your looking to invest that amount of money into your playing. Even of either of the two basses. And yes I own both, why not consider having between the two, One built to your own specs. Most of the guys are drawn to the tone of a bass and it's what they hear that draws them to that certain bass. That is what gets them. Not realizing that the bass they are hearing was set a certain way for that one certain bass player because he chose that tone. (Noticed The Word Tone) Sure most bassist can Slap, Tap, Thump, even Double Thump. But it's always the tone sometimes that grabs you. So instead of looking! Try getting deep into hearing and thinking of your own tone. Sometimes we get noticed from that.
  16. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Dude, this is talk bass. I believe the correct question is "Between Brubaker and MTD, which should I buy *first*?" Seriously though, both are absolute top tier basses that go about things in a slightly different way. You would be best served by getting your hands on one and trying them. I think it will likely come down to how each feel in your hands and how they sound when you play.