Mtd???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zorth41, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Zorth41

Zorth41

I realy like the sound of mtd basses, a friend told me that mtd basses are very polerizeing, you either hate em or love em
    Just curious anout em
  2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I owned an American made MTD 535 and it was a great bass! I wish I still had it! All of the import stuff I've played has been good.
  3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Learn to use the search function. You could read the 100+ threads on this bass and then ask any unanswered questions.
  4. Zorth41

Zorth41

Did this post realy bother youthat much, you could of just kept scrolling
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

A few years ago I picked up a used mTD Kingston heir. It had been beat to hell and had the electronics ripped out, but I got it cheap. Despite the abuse it was very solid and worthy of replacing the preamp. The only reason I got rid of it was the wide string spacing- too wide for my comfort. Very well made.
  7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

American MTD's are very clear, and will transmit every detail and nuance of your playing to the amp. This even means your bad habits and flubs.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

The search is valuable, but this the place where we talk bass! I love MTD Kingstons with the MM style pickup. They are wonderful budget basses with wide spacing. American MTD basses crystal clear and powerful. I have never owned one, but I could see how they could really highlight bad technique because they are is crystal clear. The biggest critique I always hear about MTDs is that they tend to lack mids which can make it hard for them to be heard live. That said, great bassists like Bubby Lewis, Andrew Gouche, and Supercat all use them live and on record.
  9. ejmy

ejmy

Quick opinion about my KZ5 :

Pros : Love the sound, looks nice, hardware is top notch.

Cons : You need a screwdriver to change the battery that burns much faster than in my Laklands. Cheapo imput jack, changed it twice since I got the bass 3 years ago. Side fret markers are very small and hard to see on a stage.
    JMO
  10. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

MTDs are the ultimate basses! Well, US made I mean. Grab one if you can! :)
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

I agree and I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing up a subject that has been discussed before. It gives people who haven't commented a chance to join the discussion. My only point is that it would be nice for new people to see what has been said PREVIOUSLY on a topic before starting a new thread. They might even want to ADD to the discussion rather than just throw out a topic that has been discussed in over 100 threads.
  12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

You don't bother me at all newbie. Even less when I put you on ignore. :D
  13. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I find many of these modern style basses... Active with soapbar styles... To be lacking mids a bit, hence why they tend to be more popular in gospel and pop styles of music where they don't have to cut through a wall of distorted down tuned guitars

Of course that is a generalization and just my opinion but I find it to hold true most of the time
  14. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Only thing I don't like about them is the zero fret and the different way to tune.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I think that is pretty accurate. I say that as a dedicated, but mediocre Gospel player who loves modern tones.
  16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I have two Kingstons .. an Heir and a KZ5 .. and they are both very nice basses.. For playability they are great.. I prefer the wider spacing that they offer.. I use a SL900 and a Max 9.2 so I have no issues at all as far as EQing up what I want but even when I zero out my Max and just use the bass' tone controls I find it to be manageable.. but it is a little trebly to me..
  17. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

I recently got a USA MTD 535 Ash/Walnut with maple neck. Over the years I've shied away from more modern sounding and botique basses in favor of Fender style basses with chunkier necks and narrower spacing.

The MTD shouldn't have been my cup of tea but man! I really dig it. It's a very dynamic open and responsive instrument. Mid shy wouldn't be very accurate in describing the sound. Very open and musical sounding. The USAs are some special stuff.
  18. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I too usually prefer Fender style basses but another Fender player I like is playing MTDs now- Tim Bogert-so...
  19. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

In case we are talking about the non-US made models : They seem to be a good bang for their bucks, though a lot of MTD owners switch the electronics cause the stock MTD pickups and preamp are not so well made...

Also, the bridge isn't something to be too excited about, could have been a bit better IMO :p

But like you said : You gotta hate them or you gotta love them!!
  20. tearalong

tearalong

I have a MTD kingston Heir with replacement pickups. I have other basses but always come back to the MTD for gigs. It is the most comfortable neck.