Mudbucker positioning

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rocknrollmouse, Nov 11, 2012.

1. rocknrollmouse

rocknrollmouse

Hi all,

I have a mudbucker (Sidewinder, Gibson EB0/EB3 style pickup) I want to put into another bass.

These pickups are usually surface mounted, however the pickup cover is too high (fouls the strings), so I need to route the body to accept it.

Can anyone tell me the typical spacing between mudbucker and strings please?
  2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean by surface mounted. The pickup cover sits flush with the surface, but the pickup sits in a routed cavity just like any other. I think the cavity on my EB-0 is about 3/4" deep. Unlike a lot of pickups where you adjust the height of the pickups with the cover screws, the mudbucker cover stays put, and you adjust the pole height individually. So I'm not sure what to tell you about height, since the cover is typically static.
  3. iiipopes

iiipopes

4. rocknrollmouse

rocknrollmouse

Thanks all, sorry for the confusion, I try and rephrase...

The pickup cover sits flush on the surface of the bass. However in the case of my bass, the strings foul the top of the cover.

Thank you, iiipopes, the problem described is very similar to mine (I didn't find this when browsing).

Initially I considered trying to machine the cover, unfortunately I do not have assess to suitable equipment, or know anyone who does. My solution was to recess the body, so that the cover sits on a shoulder below the surface of the body. Before charging in with a router, I was hoping someone might be able to help with the typical string clearance over the top of the pick-up cover.
  5. Register to disable this ad