Multi-effect/amp modelers for around $100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tbfischer5, Feb 6, 2014.

?

Best multi-effect/amp-modeler for around $100

1. Line 6 Bass POD

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. Line 6 Bass POD XT

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Zoom B1

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Zoom B2

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Zoom MS-60B

29 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. tbfischer5

tbfischer5

Been roaming for multi-effect/amp modelers at around $100 and trying to find the definitive answer between used Line 6 Bass Pods and the Zooms.

Foot pedal is not required; really looking to "experience" differences in amps/cabs and combinations. Effects are secondary (chorus + reverb generally suffice).

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f213/
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    60b hands down. Love my 60b. Extremely usuable and it just sounds great. A little tricky to get the hang of at first but once you do, its a very useful tool to have in your arsenal.
  3. Cartman86

Cartman86

Zoom ms60b is good pedal and zoom b3 is great.
  4. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

If you're dead set on a $100 then the 60b wins, but if you're patient you can find a B3 used for just a little more and have all kinds of flexibility. I absolutely love my B3.
  5. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

The latest generation of Zoom products with ZFX-IV DSP produce the best sounding amp and cab simulations from a device I have ever encountered.

For under $100, the MS-60B will give you 6 of the B3's 12 amp/cab models and lots of other great effects should you ever require them.

Audio samples can be found here.

Cheers!
  6. tbfischer5

tbfischer5

THANK YOU CharlieC!

Given that at I typically commandeer my kid's Line 6 Spider III 15 amp and either use headphones or plug it into an Ampeg B50R, my ears are apparently not too discerning. I downloaded the samples and thought "VERY cool, but some differences seem very subtle at best". Thinking there MUST be some redundant samples, checked md5sum's and found samples are all unique. Once again, must remind myself, "Listen very carefully this time".

Not sure why (its early?), but thought the used Line 6 Bass PODs would have a larger following/bandwagon...
  7. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

You are welcome and kudos on use of the MD5 hashes ;-)

I owned/used a POD X3 (and other modelers) until the Zoom B3 came along, and IMHO, Zoom is killing it in that area and in it's continued support for bass products!

Cheers!
  8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Can you articulate the goal a little bit? Are you just wanting something to mess around with, aiming for something to give you a certain sound, needs something for live use, etc.?

The pedal models on the Zoom don't make convincing "I'm playing through an SVT!"...but it does capture the basic character of different brand amps/cabs (mainly from an EQ perspective), and it's sound isn't digital at all. It sounds and "feels" more natural for a multi-effect, which is the Zoom strength.

Also, I think the preamps on the 60b are the secret weapon for tone shaping going into an external amp. The preamps and compressors are excellent.
  9. tbfischer5

tbfischer5

Just tinkering/exploring...

fwiw, I thought playing through the Spider III was awesome, but figured $100 could open new possibilities...and then there's the feature creep of the B3.
  10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Hmmm...feature creep on the B3? Seems to me all of its features support its design goal, and it's actually much simpler than comparable multi-effect units.

Also seems to me the Line 6 POD isn't really suited for tinkering/exploring since it's just amp and cab sims...but if you're only interested in amp and cab sims then technically the Line 6 has well more of those and may be better suited for what you want to do. The 60b has a ton of sound options with its EQs, compressors, amp sims, and preamp sims, not to mention the filters, modulations, and synths included. Since you can combine up to four at a time, the tonal options get exponential. BUT, the 60b is also geared for live play/pedalboard use and sacrifices some tinkering usability in favor of compactness.

fwiw, I play the 60b through my B50r all the time at home, sounds pretty good. :)
  11. tbfischer5

tbfischer5

Unfortunately, I now find myself rationalizing the additional features of the $200 B3 vs the $100 MS-60B/B2/Bass PODs. Can I really do without the other cabs + amps + effects + software management features available with the B3?
  12. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

You can find a used B3 for $150 or less if you're a little patient. ;)

I paid $145 for mine.
  13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Don't forget the Pandora in your selection. Korg make fine amp simulations.

[​IMG]
  14. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Forget the Zoom B1 & B3.... Consider spending the extra money and getting a B3 vs anything else on your list. There may be a President's Day or Valentines Day sale coming up and a 10% discount might be possible or you can try to find one used. The Zoom is not flawless but it is the absolute best bang for the buck multi effects pedal around. I got mine on sale for $170 when I did get it so look around but don't waste your money on the other stuff you mentioned.. Not that the 60B is bad .. it is not and it does what it does just as well as the B3 does what it does... but the B3 just does more and offers more bang for the buck. It is more than just 3 MS60Bs strung together...
  15. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

As I explained in another thread, I bought a Zoom MS60B as a backup for my Boss ME50B and it rocks.
  16. rsm

rsm

I'm waiting to try a Zoom B1Xon. Hoping the street price is comparable to the G1Xon (US $70). I use my B3 in patch mode, not as a pedal board, and the B1Xon can have up to 5 slots compared to the B3's 3 slots. Same processor, and the 5 slots can overpower the capacity so I'm guessing the effect / amp models are close if not the same.

I'd like to be able to have my core B3 patches and room for more. My core B3 patches have: Comp->EQ->Amp or Pre. I have to lose one or more of these to add other effects. I'd like to be able to use this core set, and add dirt, modulations, delay, reverb, synth, etc. The B1Xon can do it!

Also not worried about the plastic enclosure, I have a plastic Zoom FP02 that is doing just fine after a year or so.
  17. tbfischer5

tbfischer5

The B3 arrived today.

Just bouncing through patches, and yeah, its amazing.
  18. sko1270

sko1270

Just picked up the MS-60B yesterday for 69.99 at Sam Ash. Only played with it for a little while but it sounds great. What a bargain.