1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Music and Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Dec 5, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I'm listening to "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield. I can hear my girlfriend cooking brown rice behind the beaded curtian that leads to the kitchen. I can see my lava lamp and smell incense. I can also smell the tear gas coming in under my door. I remember how confident I was that my generation was going to change the world for good. Oh well, good memories anyway. :p
    I know we are all from different eras and cultures so I thought it would be intersting to hear from my brothers and sisters here.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Every so often I listen to Standing Hampton from Sammy Hagar. It reminds me of Chaps cologne, my 1975 Ford pickup, vanilla scented car fresheners in the tree shape, and cruising around downtown Olympia in a 1971 Mach 1 Mustang with two of my best buddies when we were in high school.

-Mike
  3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Listening to 'The Velvet Underground and Nico' always takes me back to my last semester of college.
    Blowing off class and just cruising around exploring while toking a bowl. Good days.
  4. paste

paste Supporting Member

I love you
    you love me
    we're a happy family
    with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you, wont you say you
    love me to?

Oh the traumatic memories it brings back. *shudders*
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

"Dreams I'll Never See" - Molly Hatchet.

It was 1986 or '87. I was a teenager. I got called to fill in for a "real" band (a working, regionally popular cover/originals band made up of 25-35 year old guys) after only playing bee for a short time. My dad drove me out to see an outdoor show they were doing. When I got out of the car, I heard to intro to that song and it sounded humongous. It was the coolest thing I had seen (that wasn't a naked girl) in my whole life. I just stood there in the entry way (to young to go all the way in) and watched with my jaw hanging. I knew right then that music would be a big deal in my life.

Funny thing is I'm not a huge fan of Molly Hatchet but I love that song to this day.

I grew up with my mother spinning vinyl records of Kenny Rogers, The Oak Ridge Boys, Statler Brother, Gatlin Brother,etc. So whenever I hear old country with 4 or 5 part harmony it does take me back. Again, I'm not a huge fan of that stuff. But I would be lying if I didn't admit when I come across a song like that on the radio I stop pushing buttons. It brings back the smell of my father's coat from the paper mill where he worked, copper colored shag carpet, 8 track cassettes, polyester, floorboard high beam switches, window air conditioners..... a simpler time.
  6. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

7. PAC

PAC

LED ZEPPELIN

Paul

:Buzzed:
  8. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

For me it's more the memory of the actual music that hits me with with nostalgia.

When I was seven or eight, I remember buying my first tape, W.A.S.P.'s The Final Command. (My mom was with me and payed for it, I can still remember the dude behind the counter saying "have fun annoying Your parents" with a big grin. :D)

When I was ten I bought my first vinyl album, D.R.I.'s Dirty Rotten Album.

When I was thirteen I bought my first cd, Darkthrone's A Blaze In The Northern Sky.

All these albums had a huge impact on my young mind, they were all so different than anything I had ever heard before.

I do get a christmas-y feeling listening to old AC/DC albums though, I can remember listening to them on my Walkman in the backseat when we drove for hours (my dad up front driving, always smoking a self rolled cigarette :D) to go spend the holidays at my grandparents. Good times. :)
  9. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

Bloodhammer, always bringin' teh lulz. :D
  10. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Every time I hear Greg Lake singing 'I Believe In Father Christmas', I am whisked back to 1975. I am six years old, and I'm watching my dad get all misty eyed with a glass of scotch on the rocks as those haunting lyrics echo around our living room, festooned with all the gaudy Christmas baubles that the seventies had to offer.

Many years later, long after he died, my mum told me how much he adored that song...and since then it has always had an added poignancy.
  11. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

The funny thing is, that album does make me a bit nostalgic. It reminds me of living at a certain house 13 years ago listening to it with my roommate and being completely blown away. Same thing with Cryptopsy's "None So Vile".

Also, that bass line that starts at the 2:53 mark is strangely funky!
  12. Tituscrow

I started buying vinyl in about 1978 and have a collection of over 3000 LP's...and no word of a lie, simply looking at any of those album covers, I can remember roughly where and when it was when I bought them.

Even now, if I look at the gatefold of Kiss Alive I can vividly recall that feeling of being about 10 when I first saw and heard it.

I could wax lyrical ( no pun intended! ) for hours about all the great records I've bought down the years.

It makes me quite sad that pretty much my entire record collection is now stored on a device smaller than a cassette. There's no magic anymore.
  13. Tituscrow

I remember being bonged off my face when I first heard 'Morbid Tales'. Now that was a night to remember.
  14. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

I played Baseball in college and most of us had "walk up" songs when we came to the plate. Someone decided that mine would be "Cowboys from Hell" (probably because of where I was from) so everytime I hear that song I think about playing baseball.
  15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

The Mars Volta's 'Frances the Mute' takes me back to a particular summer in which I listened to the entire album with my ear pressed against a PA speaker trippin on mushrooms.
  16. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Mars Volta is the best band ever.
  17. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

haha!

To be honest, as much as that show was annoying, I used to sit down in our recliner, snuggle with my oldest son and watch it together almost every day. That used to be his favorite show. Now the kid's 19, in college and I barely see him.... :crying:
    so as ironic as it is that I can't stand the theme song, it does in fact bring back some truly good memories for me. I miss those days..
  18. COBRARI

COBRARI

Buffalo Springfield's... Now Days, Clancy Can't Even sing.
    I go back in a time warp. I have mostly S.F. late 60's groups in the multiple CD player in my car.
    Bands like Moby grape, AB Skhy, Quick Silver and so on...
    all give me great memories of "the good old days.

Quick story...
    I lived in Thailand in 1972. I had a bungalo in the jungle and would get loaded listening to Black Sabbath with all the night creatures making weird noises outside.
    Crazy images of that time still pop up in my head once in a while.
  19. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

Amen.
    I remember hearing that song when I was a kid and LOVING it.
    It was when I first really started getting into the Beatles and when I first heard it, Greg Lake sounded a little like John Lennon to my ears. Love at first hear.
    This was when I was a kid, free from any worry or life's stress and utterly certain that I would grow up to be a famous rock star lol.
    Now whenever I hear it it brings me back to some looong ago Christmases when the world to me atleast, just seemed to be a better place.
  20. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

Hey, I get nostalgic from listening to Burzum and Mysticum, so who am I to complain? :D

I'm spinning Autopsy's Acts Of The Unspeakable on vinyl as we speak.

They still sell turntables you know... ;)