Music Man /consistant quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, Dec 7, 2012.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Hey,
    I got a Bongo in a trade and it sounds great, very resonant and the B string is just full as can be. I have never been a Music Man guy, but now I'm eyeing a Reflex. For those of you who have played a good sampling, how have you found the consistency of EBMM stuff?. I'm wondering if I just got lucky?

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

EBMM is very well known across the board for having excellent quality control.

3. Habilis

Habilis Supporting Member

I have now owned 4 different Music Man basses-a SR4 HH, a SR5 H, a 4HH Bongo, and now a 4SSS Big Al, and I would have to say they run a very tight QC ship over there. I ended up owning a Big Al because I wanted the option of the P-Bass sound (which the Big Al SSS does a very good job of) but with a build quality superior to the MIA Fenders.

4. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I have both 4 and 5 string Stingrays and the build quality is excellent. Likewise with other MM's I've tried. I wish every bass company had such a user friendly truss rod.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1954bassman

1954bassman

I own two US Streling 5ers and both are works of art, and sound incredible.

7. spufman

spufman

I own 3 early Sterlings. One is absolute perfection in every way and I assume the stars were aligned in some cosmic ohhhmmmm. The other two are 'just' incredibly excellent. I've never picked up an even slightly bad MM instrument. And I agree, the truss rod works better than on any other design I've used. Not just the access to the adjuster, how it actually moves the neck precisely and predictably.

8. baba

baba

I've owned probably a dozen or more Musicman basses and they all have been consistantly great with one exception: I had one old one with a horribly twisted neck. I got it used, and don't know the history of the bass, but it was certainly way out of the norm.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one without playing it in person.

9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I've owned 3 MM basses, the level of quality is insane on these instruments. I had a Stingray 4H Fretted and a Stingray 4H Fretless, as well as a Bongo 6 HH. I don't play 4's really anymore and the Bongo 6's neck is just a bit too chunky for me... though I plan on getting one or two five string EBMM basses soon.

10. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

You could say EBMM has a pretty sterling reputation for quality control :D

11. bobalu

bobalu

I have owned several MusicMan basses (Stingrays and Sterlings) over the years and currently own a Bongo. EBMM is the only brand that I would ever buy sight unseen (ie: mail-order). I normally would never buy a bass without playing it first, no exceptions.

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I had a Stingray 5 string that had great tone but also had dead spots between the 7th and 9th frets. I got rid of it and haven't tried Musicman since.

13. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Build quality and QC consistently awesome.

The only new ones I've ever seen with any issues are those that have hung on the wall at GC forever with no care or maintenance. I would never hesitate to order a brand new one. I have 2 Sterling 4s, a Sterling 5, and a Stingray Slo Special. I've never had any issue with QC or fit/finish.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I no longer own an EBMM, but I have owned approx a dozen over the years.

IMO, EBMM is very consistent quality-wise. As good as Sadowsky IMO.

15. nurnay

nurnay

I bought both of my EBMM basses without touching them first, mainly based on EBMM's stellar quality control. I wasn't disappointed.

16. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I've had a bunch of stingrays and while build was good, I found the weight of them varied like crazy.. From dear god it's a boat anchor to whoa.. My bass just floated away.

17. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Disclosures:
    Sales Representative for Zane Guitars.
    I own I think 7 Music Man basses and 1 Music Man guitar. I love them. I have never had a problem with them either. Customer service has also been wonderful to deal with anytime I have had questions or needed help with something. You should have no issues whatsoever with your bass or at least let me say that it is very unlikely you will.

18. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Yes, I'm talking the difference between fabulous and fab++. I get it these are overall great instruments but it's the buying without trying thing I'm concerned with.
    I just ordered a $3000+ instrument of brand X, and the B string had a lot of harmonic overtones that really blurred the fundamental, it was there unplugged too. Subtle thing but it really bummed me. Changed strings, still there. I returned it to this company and they said it was within their spec and officially AOK, but they were totally swell and sent me another. Problem gone.
    This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. This Bongo is just so damn pure harmonically it almost makes me laugh out loud when I get below E. I was assuming EB just had a good thing going with a mass produced mid priced instrument. My only other experience was with a used Sterling. The tone didn't do it for me but it felt great to play.

19. Musicman20

Musicman20

20. johnson79

johnson79

I haven't owned one, but every one I have ever played was amazing.

21. msb

msb

I've only owned one , still have it !

... but seriously they are probably the finest production instruments made in America . They offer the largest range of instruments , and continually fine tune the tiniest details . They seem to care about quality , and customer service .

Consistent , and quality , are what they are all about .