1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MUSIC MAN SLO vs IBANEZ 500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tunewriter, Dec 28, 2012.

1. tunewriter

tunewriter

I have an Ibanez SR500 and I like it. It's my 1st bass. I chose it because I do not have large hands. My only real issue with it, and I think it's more my problem, is I sometimes push the E string too far (off the fretboard) to the left when pushing down and I get fret noise. I've been wondering how similar a Music Man SLO would be to the SR500. I know there is nothing like going to the store and playing a Music Man SLO for myself but I'm hoping to get some pointers before I do. Anyone care to weigh in? Thanks in advance...
  2. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

That's really a technique issue. Ibanez basses are really thin necks so that's probably not the issue.
  3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

I have 3 Ibanez SR 500's. A 94', 95' and 2010 Limited Edition. I have also owned a 93' SR 400, a 95' SR 800 and a 20th Anniversary Soundgear so I am very familiar with these basses. In 2010 I switched over to Music Man simply because the basses are much better basses. Like you, I too do not have huge hands. I have average size hands. My first Music Man was a Music Man Sterling but has the same neck width as a Stingray SLO. I found the transition to be quite easy and next to no noticeable difference at all. I then got a Stingray Classic next and noticed a little bit of difference but nothing that was too bad. After that, I went Bongo crazy and they have become my favorite. I own 4 in various different pickup configurations but I love the feel of the necks. Their width is absolutely perfect for me ans they are the most comfortable bass I have ever played. I also have a regular Stingray that is a standard neck, non SLO. It too feels really nice. The only one I ever notice a difference on is my Stingray Classic but I have had it for 2 years now and there is no issues in playing it or transitioning from one bass to the next. If you decide to go with Music Man, I highly recommend them as they make a great bass, and they have excellent customer service. Whatever one you do go with, be it a SLO special or something else, I think you will do just fine and be very happy with what you get.
    Jay
  4. tunewriter

tunewriter

Well here I am gang with a brand spank'in new EBMM Stingray SLO that has great Tone sitting in it's case because I can not get the neck action anywhere near the action on my Ibanez 500. And yes I've read all the crap on the music man page about adjusting the neck. And, yes it is easy to adjust the neck. I just can't get the action anywhere comparable to the Ibanez without getting a ton of fret noise. Maybe I'll use the music man as a wall ornament. It is pretty,
  5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

I have always found EB's factory setup to be quite high on the nut. On all mine, I always had to lower the nut slots to get action where I like, and I've never considered myself to be a low-action kinda guy.
  6. tbz

tbz Supporting Member

I'm one of those lazy "let a tech I trust set my basses up" kind of guy, and my techs have all said the same thing to me about EBs. Pretty high action at the nut from the factory.

You might want to take this to a tech. As mentioned above, you generally have to adjust more than the neck to get a bass to have the action you want. The guy I go to has the action on my Stingray 30th identical to the action on my Ibanez DWB-2 (which is essentially just a high end Soundgear) so its possible with right tools and knowledge.