1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Music Man Stingray HH (How Have u used it?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peace Cee, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Sorry if:
    This thread has been done
    I know that I should use my ears (I have)
    Just wondering:
    I just bought a MM Stingray HH. I also have a Bongo 6 HH. As for the Ray, what pick-up configurations and preamp settings do you favor for certain types of music. There are many. I am curious about what you guys are using for what. I asking mainly about the Ray. I know that this is personal. Just curio.

2. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    My go-to setting so far has been the switch position 1 (all the way towards the bridge - single bridge humbucker) and the treble at -5, mids at +4 and bass at +2. If I need it rounder sounding I just rest my thumb on the back end of the neck pup but I'm usually resting it on the front end of the bridge pup. I use this tone (slight adjustments to taste) for everything from modern country, rock and fusion/smooth jazz. If I need an even rounder tone, I'll use switch position 2 which I believe is the two inner coils. I'll go there for blues, classic county or more traditional jazz tones.

3. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

For Alt Rock/Metal I use the neck pickup soloed, bass up just a tad, mids almost all the way up, and treble boosted slightly.

4. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

I use mine in a modern blues band which veers towards funk soul and jazz.

I tend to use setting 3 (centre - both pick ups on H mode) with bass and treble on centre detent and mids boosted a little (to cancel the scoop a little). I go to setting 1 (bridge H) if I need to rock or funk it up - bass and treble boosted a little, mid cut a little.

I use the position 2 - single coil both pick ups - fit smooth jazz with the EQ as position 3.

I have used position 2 (inner single coils on both PUs) for old style sixties style music - gives a Precision-ish feel.

It's a very flexible bass! I find it more intuitive than my Bongo 5HH to be honest, good as that bass is also. For me coil selection wins over pick up pan.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. UK Philip

UK Philip

make it pop like only an MM can.

7. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

The slap tone with both pick ups on H mode is incredible - different from the standard slap tone of a single H Stingray, good as that is.

8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I always ran mine with both pickups on full, treble flat, mids boosted, and bass to taste for the room (usually around flat...maybe cut or boosted slightly)