1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Music Man Stingray HH (How Have u used it?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peace Cee, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Feb 9, 2011
    Sorry if:
    This thread has been done
    I know that I should use my ears (I have)
    Just wondering:
    I just bought a MM Stingray HH. I also have a Bongo 6 HH. As for the Ray, what pick-up configurations and preamp settings do you favor for certain types of music. There are many. I am curious about what you guys are using for what. I asking mainly about the Ray. I know that this is personal. Just curio.

2. My go-to setting so far has been the switch position 1 (all the way towards the bridge - single bridge humbucker) and the treble at -5, mids at +4 and bass at +2. If I need it rounder sounding I just rest my thumb on the back end of the neck pup but I'm usually resting it on the front end of the bridge pup. I use this tone (slight adjustments to taste) for everything from modern country, rock and fusion/smooth jazz. If I need an even rounder tone, I'll use switch position 2 which I believe is the two inner coils. I'll go there for blues, classic county or more traditional jazz tones.

3. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle
    For Alt Rock/Metal I use the neck pickup soloed, bass up just a tad, mids almost all the way up, and treble boosted slightly.

4. I use mine in a modern blues band which veers towards funk soul and jazz.

I tend to use setting 3 (centre - both pick ups on H mode) with bass and treble on centre detent and mids boosted a little (to cancel the scoop a little). I go to setting 1 (bridge H) if I need to rock or funk it up - bass and treble boosted a little, mid cut a little.

I use the position 2 - single coil both pick ups - fit smooth jazz with the EQ as position 3.

I have used position 2 (inner single coils on both PUs) for old style sixties style music - gives a Precision-ish feel.

It's a very flexible bass! I find it more intuitive than my Bongo 5HH to be honest, good as that bass is also. For me coil selection wins over pick up pan.

5. Sponsored by:

6. UK Philip

UK Philip

Sep 5, 2013
    make it pop like only an MM can.

7. The slap tone with both pick ups on H mode is incredible - different from the standard slap tone of a single H Stingray, good as that is.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I always ran mine with both pickups on full, treble flat, mids boosted, and bass to taste for the room (usually around flat...maybe cut or boosted slightly)