1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Music Man vs Fender Jazz (playability not sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Dec 24, 2013.

1. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I love Fender Jazz Necks.... they just feel the best on my smallish thick hands. I also love the way a Musicman sounds.

I have played a few stingrays but they do not feel right to me.. could be the body, the neck the weight not sure.

So do I need to try and play more stingrays? Do I need to mod a bass with Musicman electronics and a body and neck I am comfortable with?

Any one do a similar build?
  2. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

Look at a slo special. Much smaller neck than a regular ray.
  3. Gyver

Gyver

Maybe a Sterling? My MM Sterling Classic has the best neck I have played, and I love jazz necks. I love the sound of the Sterling as well, but it is different than the Stingray.
  4. Lo-E

Lo-E

+1
  5. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

I like a good Fender Jazz neck, but I LOVE the Sterling neck. Check one out.
  6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I loved the way my sterling classic played and I have small hands...but I hate how they sound.
  7. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

A lot of Stingrays are too heavy.

Not all models have those useless body contours.
  8. johnpbass

johnpbass

+1 on what others have said. Sterling or Stingray with SLO Special neck.
    I love the way my Jazz plays but oddly enough I find my SR5 to be just as playable.
  9. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yup - neck-wise, Stingray=P Bass, Sterling=Jazz Bass... Also, the Sterling has a slightly smaller body that you may find more comfy, and ceramic pups which will be more mid present...

Personally, although I like Stingrays, I LOVE Sterlings...

- georgestrings
  10. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

I tried a S.U.B. bass in a GC the other day and it had the tiniest neck I've ever played on a bass. About the same as my standard Jazz, if not thinner.
  11. mantaraya

mantaraya

I have played a few stingrays but they do not feel right to me.. could be the body, the neck the weight not sure.

Similar experience. And it is not the nut width. I had Ray and Sterling. Altought the Sterling had a nice feeling. But theres is something (for me at least) "Weird feeling " And it has nothing to do with string height, or relief, or bridge height. It something about themselves..great basses, but just not "feeling right" to me..
  12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Try a Sterling
  13. wvbass

wvbass

Not liking something does't make it useless. Body contours have a specific ergonomic function. There are stingrays without contours; I am unaware of any slab jazz basses.
  14. jking138

jking138

Fender have some humbucker basses, the Dimension Bass line, C shaped necks and single or double humbucker options. Might be worth checking out. I would imaging that with the active pre-amps they could sound similar of the musicman but with the feel of the fender.
  15. KingRazor

KingRazor

+1 at the sterling recommendations, playability was comparable to any Jazz.
  16. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    All this pertains to 4 strings. For 5 strings it's the opposite, the MM neck is narrower than Fender's.
  17. KingRazor

KingRazor

+1 Their 5-string necks are great.
  18. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Agreed 100% - I love Fender 4 strings, but I go with EBMM for 5ers...

- georgestrings
  19. ljholland

ljholland

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My Stingray 5 had a neck like a baseball bat. Well, I suppose it still does, but I don't have it any more. It's way too thick for me - I like jazz necks too.