Music Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by completelytypic, Apr 5, 2014.

1. completelytypic

completelytypic

Hi everyone,
    I recently joined this site (like, literally 5 minutes ago) but I've been looking around it for a while. I need your help with some repertoire suggestions.

Background on my teacher(don't want to pull a mcnair)
    She studied under Bradetich, and went to the Berklee School of Music. She plays electric, jazz and classical in all sorts of gigs, and is a sort of jack-of-all trades. She is, however moving to New York soon so I need a piece that I can take along with me to a new teacher (if that makes sense).

Background on Yours Truly:
    I started in 6th grade, now in 8th. I've played the Eccles Sonata 1st Mvmt, Koussevitsky's Chanson Triste, some Vivace from a Flute Sonata I don't recall, and the first movement of the Capuzzi Concerto. I got to play Flight of the Bumblebee with 3 other basses, too. That was cool. Currently working on Dragonetti's Duet for Cello and Bass.

I'm looking for a piece I might be able to play with my school orchestra(here's an example of a piece we've played) or any solo piece, really. I'm not a very hard worker so I think a challenging piece might motivate me more to practice and play bass. I just started taking bass really seriously at the end of 7th grade or the beginning of 8th.

Any help would be appreciated =) Thanks for the time.

2. The Dominus

The Dominus

First off: Bottesini 2 is very, very advanced. Leave it be for a while (a long while). I would highly suggest playing the entire Capuzzi concerto (arr. if F is very friendly). The second movement has very nice passages that help improve intonation further up the bass without being too advanced, and the third gives practice with some faster sections and is all around a good piece to play. As far as I know, there is not an orchestral accompaniment for the F arrangement. After the Dragonetti duet, the Rossini duet is a great one. It is not incredibly difficult, but it is a very fun piece if you have a good cellist to play with you (cello part is significantly more difficult than bass part, so be warned). Other solos you might want to look into include the Dragonetti concerto and possibly the Koussevitzky concerto (more difficult, high register). I think your very best bet for now is the Capuzzi concerto, however. It is a very good piece to have in your repertoire, and is very beginner friendly. Take all this advice with a grain of salt, as I am not a professional, nor am I a teacher, nor have I really been playing for all that long myself. Have fun!

3. completelytypic

completelytypic

Thank you so much! I had disregarded the Capuzzi because I kind of disliked the unrepentant bouncyness haha. I played in it D, but that may be why I didn't like it.