1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Music sheets written walking bass lines.

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Roshen, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Roshen

Roshen

Dear Forum members,

I’m a amateur double bass player and I’m searching for music sheets with written walking bass lines from mostly standards. Especially from tunes like Giant Steps and Indiana/Cherokee but other (bebop) tunes are welcome.

I’d like to explore more about written walking basslines to find out what sounds best and from which point of view the notes are chosen to fit best with the chords and within the whole context of the song.

Thanks for your tips and help.

Kind regards,

Roshen.
  2. Mushroo

Mushroo

Ray Brown and Ed Friedland's books get a lot of mention around here.
  3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

For developing your own lines I think the book by Ed Fuqua "Walking Bassics" http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Bassics-Ed-Fuqua/dp/1883217504 is a very good choice.

Rufus Reid's "Evolving Bassist" is also good: http://www.amazon.com/Evolving-Bass...TF8&qid=1391783003&sr=1-1&keywords=rufus reid

If you are seeking lines to study I would suggest the Jamie Aebersold play along series. There are many books which have transcriptions of walking basslines from the recordings so you can see and hear the lines.

Joe
  4. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

There are some really good Abersold books full of walking lines. I have one of Ron Carters bass lines I like.
  5. petesenkowski

petesenkowski

6. jolok

jolok