1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Music sheets written walking bass lines.

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Roshen, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Roshen

Roshen

Dear Forum members,

I’m a amateur double bass player and I’m searching for music sheets with written walking bass lines from mostly standards. Especially from tunes like Giant Steps and Indiana/Cherokee but other (bebop) tunes are welcome.

I’d like to explore more about written walking basslines to find out what sounds best and from which point of view the notes are chosen to fit best with the chords and within the whole context of the song.

Thanks for your tips and help.

Kind regards,

Roshen.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo

Ray Brown and Ed Friedland's books get a lot of mention around here.

3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

For developing your own lines I think the book by Ed Fuqua "Walking Bassics" http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Bassics-Ed-Fuqua/dp/1883217504 is a very good choice.

Rufus Reid's "Evolving Bassist" is also good: http://www.amazon.com/Evolving-Bass...TF8&qid=1391783003&sr=1-1&keywords=rufus reid

If you are seeking lines to study I would suggest the Jamie Aebersold play along series. There are many books which have transcriptions of walking basslines from the recordings so you can see and hear the lines.

Joe

4. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

There are some really good Abersold books full of walking lines. I have one of Ron Carters bass lines I like.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petesenkowski

petesenkowski

7. jolok

jolok

8. Roshen

Roshen

Dear members,

I apologize for my absence. I thank you all for your posts. I will read them all and check them also.

Many thanks.

R.

9. Roshen

Roshen

Hi DC Bass I already have Rufus’ book Evolning Bassist and that is a nice book and has some nice example of walking bass lines. Thx for your post. About J. Aebersold I still haven’t found a book with walking bass lines. Mazzeltof.

10. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Supporting Member

Modern Walking Bass Technique by Mike Richmond is a great option.

11. cpaterso

cpaterso

Sorry I am late on this discussion. No one mentioned TONS of listening to bass lines, and some transcribing of the ones you like. And yes, the books mentioned all have good lines. And then you can also search on line. There are lots of pages of material out there.

Craig

12. Roshen

Roshen

Dear members,

I’m looking for music sheets/transcriptions where the baseline is written preferably from jazz standards. I know most of the C. Parker, Th. Monk, J. Coltrane, M. Davis and H. Silver tunes. I am able to compose baselines and also to improvise on it. But because I read music notation better than years before I like to play more written baselines from other bass composers.

Thanks for all the tips and comments.

Roshen.

13. Roshen

Roshen