Music shops in New York?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by altamont, Feb 25, 2014.

1. altamont

altamont

Hey guys, I'll be in NYC from Monday until Wednesday and I've been wondering where to check for some used stuff?

You know of some obscure music shop? Let me hear about it.
    You know some place I really need to go? Shoot.
    Are there some shops that I don't need to waste any time over there?

Also, if there are any record stores you guys feel like I should know about, let's hear it!

*I'll have my car, so I can go accross the bridge to Brooklyn also.
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Larry Hartke's bass emporium is someplace in downtown Manhattan.
  3. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

4. Border

Border

Hello Altamont, I was in NYC for a conference last summer in the Times Square area, and there were two shops I visited during some free time. One was Rudy's, which had an amazing selection of new and used gear. The other was Sam Ash. It was a great store as well. Both were within walking distance of Times Square. I enjoyed visiting both stores, and saw a much wider selection of instruments and gear than we have in this area. PM me for the name of a FABULOUS Italian restaurant my wife and I discovered by chance in that area as well. Have fun.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

There's a bunch of cool shops. There were a lot more 10 years ago. It's kinda sad.
  7. Gabeja15

Gabeja15

^Sam Ash is gone now.

I would highly recommend 30th Street Guitars, 3 blocks from Penn Station and they have an enormous array of weird/boutique effects
  8. altamont

altamont

Nice, thank you guys!
    I'll be staying nearby the American Museum of Natural History if that can help.
  9. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

The Hartke Bass Lounge is definitely on my list to visit when I can finally get a chance to make a trip to NYC... 333 W. 34th.

5sg.
  10. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

There is nothing up by where you are staying.

In no particular order...

Rudy's on 48th (good bass section, expensive)
    30th Street Guitars (good bass section, mainly used & vintage)
    Sam Ash on 34th (good bass section. Larry Hartke's "Bass Emporium")
    Guitar Center on 14th (it's GC, but it's one of the flagship stores)
    Umanov on Bleeker (okay bass selection)
    Rivington Guitars on 4th St (mainly vintage, way expensive)
    Ludlow Guitars on Ludlow (if you want pedals it's the place, bass stuff is kinda sparse)
    Main Drag Music in Brooklyn (great shop)
    Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island (also great shop)

They just moved to 34th
  12. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    + 1 on Hartke lounge: nice selection of basses and Larry was very amicable to this perfect stranger, a true gentleman.
  13. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

Rudy's is the only store left on 48th st and the only place with highend basses that I can think of. Their consignment stuff can be a good deal. Sam Ash in their new 34th st location have a bundle of Foderas, Spectors and Sadowskys but it feels a bit out of place - they are competing with Guitar Center, if you catch my drift. Staff vibe soso. It is also where Hartke has a second home. Main Drag in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, is worth a visit. Nice staff, you can try stuff, good vintage selection. There is also a Warwick/Framus custom shop in the East Village, but you need to make an appointment. Sadowsky has their workplace in Long island City with a small store section/visitor area with a fantastic amp room. Fodera are in Brooklyn, but I have never been there. Another place to consider (make an appointment) is Aguilar on Broadway.
  14. Gorn Captain

A big +1 on the so-so staff vibe. When you go to GC and Sam Ash, don't expect much in the way of customer service, or acknowledgement of your existence.
  15. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Also, I know these aren't retail shops, but they might be cool places to visit if you're up for a little tour type stuff and can schedule it in...

Aguilar, Sadowsky, Fodera and Pigtronix are all out in that general vicinity, which might be cool to visit. Also, I've been told I should visit Matt Garrison's studio, Shapeshifter Lab.

5sg.
  16. octopoculator

octopoculator Fake Astronaut Supporting Member

I've dropped into the Warwick shop without an appointment, the guys there have always been pretty cool and seemingly not busy. I'd stop by if you're in the area and you're interested in Warwick, they have a nice selection of their models but most are full price, not a big (if any) used selection.

I've stopped going to Matt Umanov, the staff there has been repeatedly rude. Not a big selection of used either, but a good stock of Fender and a few Ernie Ball's.
  17. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I copied this post from another nearly identical topic. Here you go:

Here's the NYC gear spot rundown:

MIDTOWN
    Rudy's on 48th street. It's the last store left on what had been "Music Row". And one of the few locations where you're going to find some really high end instruments in stock.

CHELSEA
    Sam Ash on 34th street & 9th Ave. The Hartke Bass lounge is effectively Sam Ash NYC's bass department. You can expect to see some Sadowsky's and Fender Custom Shop instruments here, along with a few other high end offerings that you won't see in a run of the mill Sam Ash store.

30th Street Guitars (30th btwn 7th & 8th Ave). Great vintage/used gear, albeit a bit pricey

Dan's Chelsea Guitars (West 23rd street). More of a guitar spot, but also good for some cool vintage gear

GTR Store (West 28th street). Lots of Fender Custom Shop stock here. Also some cool one off exotic instruments. A comfortable, cool hang where you're encouraged to play the instruments. The only downside? Limited bass amp choices for demoing a bass.

THE VILLAGE
    Guitar Center (14th street btwn 5th & 6th Ave). The best bass inventory I've ever seen at any Guitar Center, and they've got a vintage room.

Matt Umanov Guitars (Bleecker Street). Cool vintage & new stock, and awesome pizza right across the street at John's.

LOWER EAST SIDE
    Rivington Street Guitars (East 4th st, NOT RIVINGTON ST). I've only ever seen these guys at some guitar shows, but I've never been in the store. They're much more about vintage than modern instruments.

Ludlow Street Guitars (Ludlow btwn Houston & Stanton St.) Effects pedal heaven. Some modern Fenders, but this store is geared more towards guitar players.

QUEENS
    Sadowsky shop (Long Island City). I haven't actually paid the Sadowsky shop a visit since they were still in Midtown Manhattan in the late 90's. But Roger & crew are very accomodating, even if you're just there to get one of their awesome preamps.

BROOKLYN
    Main Drag Music (Williamsburg). It's pretty much all vintage stock here, with some very cool offerings.

Southside Guitars (Williamsburg). Great vintage offerings. They also deal in some modern gear (Nash). Very cool guys to deal with.

STATEN ISLAND
    Mandolin Brothers - A little out of the way, but these guys know acoustic instruments & vintage, too.
  18. dinodino

dinodino Supporting Member

Thanks for the list! I really wish there were more mom and pop type shops out in Queens for us who can't afford/ justify buying a Sadowsky. Alternatives to the local Sam Ash and GC would be nice
  19. ShoeManiac

Check out the Music Zoo. They were formerly in Queens, but moved a little bit east into Nassau county a couple of years back. They are a major independent dealer!
  20. Gorn Captain

Good people over there with a respectable bass collection. Here's they're current used bass selection:
    http://www.themusiczoo.com/category/POWB/Used-Basses/
  21. ShoeManiac

Indeed! I've never been to the store location, but I bought a pickup from them. They were beyond cool from a customer service standpoint. I think once the spring weather finally gets here I'm going to take a ride out to their store and maybe hit some of the Brooklyn spots, too.

As for the new Sam Ash location in Manhattan? I finally checked that out a little over a month ago. It's pretty cool, and it looked like a bigger space than the 48th street location. There was a nice selection of both instruments and amps on hand.