1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Music Stand help needed

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by dbassnut, Oct 9, 2012.

1. dbassnut

dbassnut

Hi guys,
    I'd appreciate any advice on what stand I should get?
    I currently play the double bass & am looking for a portable stand. Most of the stands that I've come across are fine if you aren't standing however, as I stand when I'm playing, it's kind of hard to keep an eye on the score & the frantic hand waving of the conductor.
    I'm leaning towards a hercules music stand, either a BS050B or a
    BS118BB as they both fold up compact & look tall enough.
    I'm probably going to have to buy either one online as none of the stores here stock them, so I'd like any comment you might have.
    If you do happen to own either one, could you measure the height when fully extended, from the floor to the desk lip?
    Thanks,
  2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Developer: iGigBook Sheet Music Manager
  3. notabene

notabene

I like the Manhasset Voyager very much. With the (optional) extenders it holds 4 sheets easily, 5 with some trickery. Sturdy (holds large notebooks easily), and fits in a car sort of flat.
  4. dbassnut

dbassnut

Attached Files:

5. bejoyous

bejoyous

I can't stand a flimsy stand. They wobble around, music falls off too easily, they eventually get bent when opening or closing it, or a part gets lost, etc.

What I use is a Manhasset Voyager with Stand-Outs. I tightened down the lug nut that holds the shelf on so it won't come off.

When I transport it, I fold in the legs, slide in the Stand-Outs and flip the shelf over. Then I run the legs through the hand loop on the front of my case with the shelf facing the bass. That way it won't flip over on its own and I don't have to physically carry it with a hand.

It is sturdy and looks great. If there is a 3 or 4 page work I can extend the Stand-Outs to hold them. I usually use this stand rather than the one provided by whatever hall I am performing in as it is usually more stable.

It was a bit of an investment but I will probably never need to replace it.
  6. longfinger

longfinger

How many pages do you need to have open at once?
  7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

+1 on the Peak stand. It has a nice large "desk," is sturdy, and folds compactly into the supplied bag. It even copes nicely when I load it with one of those gargantuan big-band chart books. Buy two! At around $30, it's worth it to have a spare.
  8. dbassnut

dbassnut

Hi Guys,
    I'll try to find the stands you suggested here in Malaysia. Some of the stands you mentioned are not available here. So far, I only managed to find dealers for the Hercules in KL & K&Ms. I'm in Penang which is a a different city so if I do buy one, I'll have to buy it via mail order.
    Once again thanks. If anyone has experiences with either Hercules stands or K&Ms, do let me know as I can find those.
  9. longfinger

longfinger

I have a Profile music stand. It opens up to allow 5 pages to be shown without page turns. It's great for big band, and it is heavy so it is great for outdoor concerts in windy situations. However, it is heavy so it's not so portable. They make other lighter models too.

http://profile-accessories.com/?p=50#
  10. dbassnut

dbassnut

Hi guys,
    I finally got myself a Hercules music stand.
    http://www.herculesstands.com/music/BS118BB.html
    It's a 3 piece stand & is sturdy. Only thing is I find that the bottom half of the stand tends to stick a little when I am telescoping the upper half of the stand down. According to the store guys, this is because the stand is new & should be smoother after a while.
    I'm thinking of using some WD40 & would like to get your advice.
  11. misterbadger

misterbadger

I'd try a little paste wax (or even candle wax) before going the WD-40 route. WD-40's great at attracting dirt and gunk.
  12. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    I'd probably just let it break in over time. WD40 smells funky for a while, gets all over everything, and might overdo it - you'd probably rather have to exert a little more force to open and close it than have the stand slip, mid performance. Give it some time, it'll smooth out with regular use. Just my $.02...
  13. dbassnut

dbassnut

Hi Mark,
    Thanks. You guys ever think of opening in Branch in South East Asia, lets say, Penang? :)