1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Music stand lights

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by smcbass, Nov 18, 2013.

1. smcbass

smcbass

Anyone have a music stand light that really lights up the music? Most of the LED lights (Mighty Bright) I have used don't work all that well. The old Manhasset incandescent lights work, but they have to be plugged into an outlet.

Manhasset has a new LED light with 17 LEDs. Anyone have one? There is another one out there with 20 LEDs, but it's a little expensive. Your suggestions welcome.
  2. dderatz

dderatz Supporting Member

I have the two light and the twelve (i think) mighty bright. The twelve is very good. Much bettercoverage than the standard, Manhassett-style light.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Last reading-in-the-dark gig I did where I had to provide my own stand & lights (playing in the planetarium at Columbia University!) I brought two of those battery-operated lights designed to clip onto a book that you're reading in bed, the sort sold out of in-flight magazines or Sharper Image catalogs. Clipped one onto each side of the music stand. Worked great.
  5. smcbass

smcbass

6. elgecko

elgecko

:D

One is BRIGHT! I've never needed a second one but at the very least, you'll have a backup.
  7. smcbass

smcbass

elgecko,
    The first time I used both lights someone out in the room asked me to reposition them so that the audience couldn't see them. :D
  8. project43

project43 Supporting Member

Besides being a bassist, I also play trombone in a band called Kahulanui (we are up for Grammy by the way). We use bandstands for the brass section. I made some low profile high output led lights with a led strip from inspiredleds.com and aluminum channel. I have glaucoma and need all the light I can get. These do the job. You can see how unobtrusive they are in the pictures. I'll look and see if I have any pictures that show them lighting up the music. Frank

Attached Files:

9. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

Make friends with a lighting guy and get a little piece of black wrap to shield it from the audience. I haven't seen one yet but an old school Manhasset clip-on retrofitted with LEDs and a battery would work well. Uncontrolled spill from a stand light is seriously annoying.
  10. project43

project43 Supporting Member

The big issue I have with the Manhasset style, aside from the lack of light, is they are tall, and even if fitted with leds, are not wide enough spread the light evenly across two pages. I've attached a picture of us using them before we built the new lights. You can see how they stick out. The ones we built are really low profile and shed no light beyond where we want it. Frank

Attached Files:

11. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

Ok when you put them side by side like that the Manhassets are ugly, bulky and a lot less efficient than your design.
  12. elgecko

elgecko

Cue the sun! :cool:

Never mind 2. I've played my fair share of 4, 5, and 6+ page charts.