Music Store Question

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by chill_willy, Sep 25, 2012.

1. chill_willy

chill_willy

Hey All,

This is my first time posting in the forum. I'm currently in the market for a Fender American Deluxe Jazz V (or the Marcus Miller Edition). I have found a store online that carries the MM V for $1000. The site is in Indonesia, and all of the instruments posted on the site run about half of the costs in American outlets. I am a longtime believer of the old adage, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, however, I'm also not one to pass on a great deal, and I know that U.S. list prices are always grossly over the actual cost of the instrument. Do any of you have any experience in purchasing instruments overseas, particularly in Indonesia, and what was your result? Where they knockoffs (this is my biggest fear)? Real deal?

Thanks,

-W
  2. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

The MM 5 is made in the US. It doesn't make sense that an Indonesian company can buy one and pay to have it shipped across the ocean, only to turn around and resell it for less than half the price of a US dealer. If you still want one, I would called Beaver or Grasshopper - they'll take good care of you!
  3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

No one ... repeat, no one ... is going to sell new product for less than the market will bear. But you already know that. Trust your gut, it's a scam. Likely cheap Asian knock-offs. The internet is full of these rip-off artists, and Craigslist is loaded with unhappy buyers now trying to scam someone else.
  4. Roy Smith

Roy Smith

Be very wary of deals like this. There's almost no way for you to do anything if they choose to rip you off. Even if it's legit, the shipping charges will probably offset any savings, and you have the extra risk of international shipping.

Just my $0.02.
  5. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

This was a super nice one in our own TB classifieds that just sold today: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/2012-fender-deluxe-jazz-black-maple-block-inlays-fs-ft-944138/

I'd keep my eyes on the TB classifieds. The seller didn't mention that it was a 5-string in the subject line, so you had to open the link to find out.

Guitar Center Used has a bunch of used Jazz V Deluxe models for sale.

If you will only buy new... it seems safest to stick with the major players.
  6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

This......

You keep that adage in mind...
  7. Winfred

Winfred

You will get ripped off if you buy that bass from Indonesia. Unless you're looking to buy a cheap knock-off.
  8. BassCentral

BassCentral

Send an email over to sales@basscentral.com and let us know exactly which model you're interested in. We'll reply with availability and pricing info for you. I'd be weary of buying a "US made" instrument anywhere other than the US. Just a heads up.

Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you soon.