1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Music Theory For Bass website

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by markjsmithbass, Dec 8, 2013.

1. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

Hi guys. Just to let you know I've separated my music theory lessons and placed them on a simple dedicated website. The're still on talkingbass.net but I'm going to try and build a music theory resource site for bass players. I'm going to put other theory/bass related things on there too but for now it seems nice and clean with just sticking to the videos. I might be writing a theory for bass book that puts all of this material together into one package when I get the time.

www.musictheoryforbass.com

It's also good to have the lesson material right there and ready to download on the lessons page and the resources page.

Let me know what you think. Hopefully it'll bloom into something half decent. I've got about 40 lessons planned for the theory series. Soon I'll be leaving the basic stuff and getting into more bass useful functional harmony.

Hope it's of some use.

Mark

2. markjsmithbass

3. markjsmithbass

That's all coming up soon. Gonna do a lesson that shows how to apply all the chord construction to basslines and (possibly) soloing. Got 3 more chord construction lessons coming up (added note/inversions/altered extensions) and then the application one. It's planned out and I'm really eager to get them done and out there. Just takes time.

The scales for the chord extensions will be covered in a different way than just giving a list of chord scales. There are a whole bunch of different scales that can work with any chord so I'll be covering scales and relating them back to chords but the functional harmony lessons will cover it all more extensively because context is really important in determining scale/chord relationship. Also, the altered extensions lesson shows how the more extensions we indicate, the more specific the scale. For example, a C7b9#11b13 chord provides pretty much every scale degree.

So, in short, I'm onto it. It just takes a while. Keep up the suggestions though because I like to know if I'm jumping ahead too quickly or accidentally missing key info.

Mark

4. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. markjsmithbass

Real good points. People rarely mention the melody when talking bass. For me, one of the pleasures of gigs where I have the freedom to play around a little is the communication and interplay with the melody.

I'm going to be covering voicing of chords after the chord construction lessons. I want to deal with certain topics in isolation. There are loads of things I don't cover in them like all the different arpeggio fingerings or how to voice chords (including internal melodies and voice leading etc.) I mention the 3rd/4th clash of 11th chords in the extensions lesson but leave it until later so the principle of stacking 3rds is made clear.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's all good.

Mark