1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Musician LEO's

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tonegasm, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm Supporting Member

I'm currently pursuing a career in law enforcement but also have a deep love for playing and performing live with bands. Are there any LEO's in here who juggle the two successfully? Is it even possible? ANY insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ACalbass

ACalbass

A question I always ask :
    What would you do,being a cop,when you find that there is pot and other drugs everywhere in the places you are playing??

3. Tonegasm

I've never been faced with a situation like you describe, even when I was younger as I did not surround myself with groups like that. And I've played A LOT of places.

I'm sure there's a way to deal with a situation like that and the academy will train me to act appropriately.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

You being a LEO should do very well.
    I know several LEO's who are very good at multi tasking in
    two careers.
    As NIKE says "JUST DO IT"
    LOL

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

I'm not a LEO but know several of them that are very good at juggling
    multiple careers. They are very focused and determined and follow thru.
    Like the NIKE slogan says, Just Do It.

7. etechstan

etechstan

I was a LEO for 22 years and most of those on midnight shift. After dealing with drunks for so many years, my tolerance for being ariound them when I didn't have to be was very low. I doubt I would be able to play certain venues because of that.

If you are just entering, you are going to get stuck on afternoon shifts working Friday, Saturday and three weekdays; the shifts that anyone with seniority for the most part avoids.

Then as ACalbass points out, you may be asked to play in places that a cop may not be welcomed. As a cop you are expected (by many) to have a higher standard, and not associate with those people and that atmosphere. I had a sportbike and frequently rode with those "stunter" guys you see riding down the highway doing wheelies, I got a lot of crap from my segeant and chef when this was discovered.

So, yes you can still play but there will definitely be restrictions. And use common sense and don't play anywhere that can put your job at risk ie hardcore biker bars, strip joints, anyplace with any kind of drug trafficing...

8. Tonegasm

Thank you, guys. My gigs don't include anything outside of normal venues. Nothing even remotely shady. I've been keeping it that way for a long time, even before applying to LE.

9. Johnny Roots

Johnny Roots Banned

Can you grow a thick mustache?