1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

musicians friend used gear ratings???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spaz21387, Feb 7, 2012.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Im in the market for a squier vm fretless j bass to refinish. They rank their used stuff from 1 to 3. 1 being brand new and 3 having scratches and dents. Will getting one ranked at 3 have more issues like a bad truss or anything like that or are they sure pretty good about that? Has anyone ordered musicians friend used gear and had bad experiences? They do have a 45 day return policy so thats a good thing.
  2. Infidelity

Infidelity

Jump on it if you really want it.. I got one a few weeks ago and it's the same condition(level 3) as the one that you're thinking to buy. Instead of a scratched and dented bass I got a brand new one.. You might get lucky too! If not you can always return it.. :)

I bought an Squier Affinity V..
  3. spaz21387

spaz21387

If its still there in a week ill go for it. The girlfriend says I cant till after my b day. Maybe with the money I save on the bass ill get an ibanez tube screamer.
  4. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

I once ordered a Schroeder cab from MusiciansFriend that was rated "1 - Like New". It had a blown speaker. Luckily for me, Jorg took it back to his shop and replaced the driver; he even re-coated the exterior of the cab. Fabulous service by Schroeder. I could have returned it to MF, but fortunately I contacted Jorg first.

I've received other "1 - Like New" items from MF and in all other cases I had zero issues.
  5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Maybe your girlfriend already bought you a bass for your birthday. If not, then I see danger on the horizon for this relationship... ;)
  6. Skaught

Skaught

spaz21387,
    My name is Skaught and I work for Musician's Friend. I would be happy to help you with this. If you need any more specifics than what is currently listed for the item I can get those details for you. Please email me at forums@musiciansfriend.com. Thanks!

Skaught Parry | Musician's Friend | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
  7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Skaught and Lauren at MusiciansFriend are the greatest. Take Skaught up on his offer, you won't be disappointed.
  8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

I just emailed Skaught on a bass I just bought last night. I would like more information before this bass gets packed and shipped. It TOO was listed as a grade 3, and I know I won't keep it if it has any issues.
  9. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

Nice gesture ;)
  10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Well I was too late. Since I already ordered the bass, the guy that I spoke with told me it would take 2 days to get an answer from his Warehouse. The bass is shipping today.

The trick is to ask the questions BEFORE you buy, but I was afraid to wait in fear of losing such a great deal.

Oh well Stay Tuned
  11. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

this
  12. klejst

klejst

I would like to think they would not send you a complete P.O.S, but it may have some scuffs, dents, scratches...basically a used piece of gear. However as long as you have that return policy I think it is worth taking a shot on.
  13. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking too. This is just the first time I have EVER purchased ANY USED musical equipment without at least seeing some pictures.
  14. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Generally pretty good, I've bought level 3 which arrived as brand new on a few times, I've bought level 2 which I would have have rated below 3.. But it's a rarity.

I think they are a little TOO honest at times!
    My level 3 Ric just neede a decent setup!