Musicman Big Al Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

I did my best to search and see if there is such a club and I didn't see any. So I figured now would be a better time than any. It'll be interesting to see just how many Big Als are out there. Please post pictures.

Attached Files:

2. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Don't have one but played one and loved it. The biggest problem is that it's maybe the most OVER designed bass I've ever seen! There are actually too many options, variables and procedures to dial in.

Have you found 3-4 settings that yo stick with or do you constantly adjust along the way?
  3. Melvin7822

I haven't messed with it too much. I do tend to gravitate towards the following:

1. Middle pickup - passive
    2. Bridge & Middle series - active
    3. Bridge & Middle parallel - active
    4. Bridge & Neck parallel - active
  4. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Have you gigged with it yet? I wonder if such subtleties are noticeable song to song or if you find yourself using a setting because you forgot to switch? I would think it'd be more of a cool recording instrument due to the variety.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Melvin7822

No, I just got it yesterday after waiting since mid-April. Numbers 1, 2, 3 that I listed are night and day.
  7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

I'm waiting for my Big Al 5-H to arrive sometime in late September or early October. After talking with Sterling Ball during the Spring I was convinced that the H config over the SSS was for me. I have played the SSS version and just wasn't blown away with it as I had hoped to be. My SR-5 has a hotter output, and I did compare them during a gig so the comparison was equal.

I ordered mine in White with Rosewood fretboard and Tortoise Shell p/g. Didn't want a matching headstock on this one.

TD
  8. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

I just ordered a Big Al 4H with the roasted neck package, which will hopefully be here by the end of November. Need lots of pics in this thread to tide me over until then.
  9. Melvin7822

I know what you mean when you're referring to the lower output of the SSS. I actually am really enjoying the versatility of the SSS. However, I do plan on a BA5 H as well.
  10. ((KamiKaZe))

((KamiKaZe))

is not a bass with good EQ is a EQ that does the bass job well lol
  11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

I like my SSS. It's nice to have something that feels like a Music Man but doesn't sound like one.

[​IMG]
  12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

The SR5 output is hotter because the Big Al active mode is trimmed to balance with the passive mode. I have a sss model, but I'll bet the BA H is going to be quieter than your SR5 too -- for the same reason.
  13. Thornton Davis

Not according to BP which is one of the reasons I didn't go with the SSS. He's made it quite clear that the H p/u they designed for the 25th Anny (which is used in the BA-H) is the hottest and best sounding humbucker p/u that they've ever made.

TD
  14. king_biscuit

That may be, but they will still have to attenuate the active mode to match the passive mode, and I'll bet it won't be as hot as the all active Musicman basses. Who cares how hot it is anyway, that is why amps have volume controls :)
  15. king_biscuit

Another thing, the 25th (and Reflex) was/is offered with the humbucker and two singles (stacked singles actually), which are the same neodymium singles (and ceramic humbucker) in the Big Al. As I recall, the volume balance between the humbucker and the singles was pretty good, meaning that the humbucker was not really any louder than the singles. To extrapolate this point to the Big Al, there is no reason to believe that the single H model will be any hotter (louder) than the sss model.
  16. Melvin7822

Nice Music Man collection!
  17. Thornton Davis

The SSH will be wired differently than the single H. We will see if the H is hotter than the SSS and the SSH soon enough.

TD
  18. king_biscuit

This is certainly not worth arguing about, and you are correct you will know for sure soon enough, but the humbucker appears to be wired for series and parallel operation in either the single h model, or the HSS model. What exactly is different?
  19. Holdsg

Holdsg Supporting Member

A preview of your BA5 white with tort. Of course, this one's the SSS and lacking a B string, but you get the idea.

Plays as wonderfully as it looks.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Melvin7822

Anyone want a number?
  21. Holdsg

Holdsg Supporting Member

don't know about Sy, but I'll take one.