1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Musicman Cutlass I

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BackonBass13, Jan 26, 2014.

1. BackonBass13

BackonBass13

My first "real" bass was this rare Musicman. IT THUMPED! It has a graphite neck with the Stingray setup. Very groundbreaking bass.

Anyone else seen/played or have experience with the Cutlass?

2. mongo2

mongo2

I once tried a Cutlass II in a local shop but that was the last I saw of it. The first thing I thought of when I saw that EBMM had brought back the Sabre was they should also bring back the Cutlass.

3. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

I played one in a music store back in the early 80s. I really liked it but there was no way I could afford it. That's the one and only I've across one. I'd definitely be interested if it was re-introduced!

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Yes! I got one in 1983 and had it for 20 years. It was a killer bass ... had the cool Stingray thump and zing, and I played it so much it became fairly beat up.

I was into modding back in the 80's, so I did mod this bass: I tried a bartolini triple-coil with Furman or bartolini preamp. I also replaced the bridge with a Ken Smith quick release at one point. I held on to the original parts, and eventually had them restored. It sounded better that way, go figure. :p

Here is the only picture I have of it online, from 1985 (?). Sorry, not a good pic.
    [​IMG]

P.S. The only reason I let it go was because I switched to playing five string exclusively in Y2K, and thought that bass should go to a good home where it would get the playing time it deserved.

5. Register to disable this ad