Musicman or Mustang Bass Bridge on a Am Std P?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by baconmpanada, Nov 12, 2012.

1. baconmpanada

baconmpanada

Would a musicman bridge be a direct replacement for a hi-mass bridge on standard P?

How about a mustang fender bass bridge?

I'm thinking of replacing the current bridge of my fender american p, and was thinking that the mustang bass bridge or a musicman bridge would look and do the part.

Thanks!
  2. Dubista

Dubista

I doubt any of them would fit. There are plenty of aftermarket bridges available like schaller. But why would you want to?
  3. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Bes alternative to mustang bass bridge: Hipshot vintage bridge.

2 options of string spacing, bend pklate look and quick release strings! :bassist:
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why?

The MM definitely will not fit without modification, if you can even find one. EB does not sell parts.

No clue about the Mustang bridge.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bobster

Bobster

Neither an EBMM, or Mustang bridge will fit without modification. Since a Mustang bridge is 2-saddle, you wouldn't even have good intonation. The EBMM bridge will require you to set threaded inserts for the allen screws on each end.

I strongly recommend leaving the original bridge in place here. If you must change, try a Babicz. http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-4-string-bass-bridge.htm

These have been getting a lot of good recommendations here, but in my opinion, the standard bridge is a terrific piece of hardware.

Bob
  7. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

What?? :eyebrow: What is wrong with the high mass bridge?
  8. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

I've got an AM STD with the new high-mass bridge design and it works beautifully. As long as your bridge is still working you won't notice an improvement by changing the bridge IME.

That said I did use a Babicz on a parts-bass I put together and it was a wonderful bridge, and will be my bridge of choice for any replacements I do in the future.
  9. rockinrayduke

Just haven't heard a reason why there needed to be a bridge change. Just bought a new P and that bridge is a killer! Changing it will accomplish nothing tonewise. But, hey, whatever. Now if I was building one, then yes, a Babicz or Hipshot maybe a Wilkerson.
  10. baconmpanada

baconmpanada

thanks for the input everyone.

Main reason is aesthetics. the 2nd is i just want to be different i guess. I just like the foot print and luck of the musicman/mustang bridges. :)
  11. rockinrayduke

Ah! I see. :)
  12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

You may have the Mustang confused with the Music Master. The Mustang Bass, the last thing Leo Fender worked on for CBS while still under contact as consultant, has a bridge that shares many features with the original Music Man StingRay bridge- string-through, adjustable mutes, basic shape, etc. The Mustang is definitely a four-sadfle.bridge.

John
  13. String Theory

String Theory

The string spacing will be narrower on the Mustang bridge. Depending on your pickups, the strings might not pass over the pole pieces. Same with a Music Master. I don't know about the Music Man.
  14. SunwellBass

SunwellBass

Honestly, I think Babicz makes the best bridges. They fit as a direct replacement for the original bass bridge, too!

The hardware is full-contact so your strings have no air space between the saddle and the bridge so they resonate better and when you intonate, you can lock the saddles in place so they don't move at all. Solid design.
  15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the answer is "no, no, and the stock bridge is as good as the MM and way better than the mustang anyway."