MusicMan Pickups on a Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JChurch_Bass, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

I was wondering if it is possible to install a musicman pickup in the bridge position on a jazz bass. I know if i attempted i would have to cut out room for one of these pickups and routing and stuff but i want to know is, has it been done before? What does it sound like? Is it easy?
    I may sound stupid but ive always wanted to play with one of these pickups but cant afford the amazing musicman basses.
  2. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

Aside from th musicman pickup is it possible to add any soap bar pickup into a jazz bass bridge or neck position?
  3. thombo

thombo

no, the musicman body is the ONLY body that can handle the musicman pickpup. the body was specially designed to handle the resonant frequencies of the humbucker. using a different body will result in explosions... or at least splinters.

;)
  4. millsbass5

millsbass5

Lakland has been doing the MM/J pup conf. since their inception. As a matter of fact,there's few companies that don't offer that option.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Basso54

Basso54 Supporting Member

Anything is possible with a router and sufficient testicular fortitude.
  7. saxnbass

saxnbass

I'd be more interested in hearing what it would be like if you put the MM pickup in the neck position and left the J pickup at the bridge.
    davedblyoo likes this.
  8. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Man, that must sound sweet! Those large pole Delano pickups have some serious booty!
  10. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

Thats what i had in mind
  11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  12. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

Holy crap, how do those sound?
  13. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    They had ceramic Basslines MM pickups, and the Basslines preamps. They were very bright sounding. Reminded me of a G&L.

The same guy had me do all those, and a few others too, like these. Most of them were Squires.

[​IMG]
  14. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

15. kasbrey

kasbrey

As that's my bass I feel qualified to comment :D

It does sound good but the problem you may encounter is the width of the existing jazz pickup rout. The MM pickup is not as wide so there would be a gap around it. You could minimize this by careful placement but personally I feel this could have a negative effect on the sound.
  16. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

I dont mean to sound like im complaining but whenever i come here for help or advice i always end feeling lesser of a bassists. You guys know way too much, im jealous.
    madjazzbass likes this.
  17. Chuck Sylvester

Chuck Sylvester

Just saw this old thread. Here's a question: Anybody ever tried to add a MM pickup to a P-bass? That way, you's be able to have a P-bass sound, and then switch over to the punchy MM sound (or anything in between). You also would be able to make a nice clean rout, since there's no pickup there. I've been thinking about doing this for some time now.

Chuck
  18. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Yep, there is one for sale in the classifieds here. I believe Masterbass! Is selling it. I'm sure he would answer any questions about how it sounds.
  19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Yup, tons, here the first of many results from google, this one is from TB.

[​IMG]
  20. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    A gap around the pickup will not affect the tone. Why would it?

All you really have is a small gap between the two screw tabs on the bass side.

If you look at some basses with the pickguards removed, you can see a big rectangular rout around the pickup that you don't see with the pickguard on. The size of the pickup rout has nothing to do with how the pickup works.
    madjazzbass likes this.
  21. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Man, after reading this thread I kinda want to buy a cheap project bass to try this out.
    madjazzbass likes this.