1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Musicman Pickups Screws: Know the thread pitch, size?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Jan 10, 2012.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Does anyone off hand know what size screws to get for a Musicman USA pickup?

Musicman uses threaded brass inserts in the body and machine screws to secure the pickup. They will send you a set of them for $10... but these seem like they could be had for cheaper at a hardware store.

Anyone?

2. Freaky Stylin

Freaky Stylin

Anyone? I'm curious of this myself!

3. David Jayne

David Jayne

If it's not metric, it's probably 4-40. Why don't you remove one and take it to the hardware store?

4. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Well, 2 reasons...

1) Places I've checked haven't had machine screws small enough (including Fastenal, a store that sells screws, primarily)

2) Big box retailers have basically wiped out "Mom and Pop" Hardware stores convenient to the area (Thanks, Lowes, Wal Mart, and Home Depot!!!)

I'm going to head to one in the next day or two. When I do find the answer, I'll post it here, as it doesn't seem to exist anywhere on TB or the Google universe.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gazman

Gazman

How did you get on finding the thread size? I'm interested to know.

7. sprocket123

sprocket123

Try some machinist s places such as industrial stores , they will surely help you on this

8. sprocket123

sprocket123

Try AcklandGrainger , might help

9. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I never found out. I went to Fastenal, they didn't carry screws that small.
    Freaky Stylin was the guy in search of the screws and he contacted Musicman, they just sent him some more. He talked to the right customer service person, I guess.

#3 screws were the best guess, though.

10. Gazman

Gazman

My local trade supply store guy, checked one against a gauge, and told me it's #40 UNC.
    That's not something I can get hold of, so I'll talk to the nice Musicman people here to see what they can supply.

11. nitromullet

nitromullet

Resurrecting this thread with some info that might save someone else who stumbles upon this some time.

I bought some #3-48 x 1-1/4" screws sold as "humbucker mounting" screws, which appear to be a pretty common size. They did not fit my StingRay.

12. Bluesbarrister

Bluesbarrister

I just tried to get some of these at my local nut and bolt supply house. They have everything but ... not these. But they are, as was suggested earlier, 4/40. I.E. #4 machine screw, 40 tpi. I'm trying to find SS so my sweaty fingers don't corrode them, which is what happened to the old ones.

13. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

14. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

What head style?
    McMaster-Carr is my go-to source for generic hardware.
    This is probably the link to the stainless round-head #4-40 machine screw page.
    If not - the search is pretty good about winnowing by head style, length, thread size and pitch, and material. Dealt with McMaster for years - excellent supplier.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#round-head-machine-screws/=r3erbb