1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MusicMan S.U.B. Refinish.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hopkins, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have had my S.U.B. for a few years now. I love the bass but I fell out of love with the white textured finish. It started turning yellow, there is some arm funk still trapped in it from its previous owner that I couldn't clean off, and there were a couple of chips in the finish. So I have decided to give it an emerald green sparkle finish.

This is the bass
    [​IMG]

Disassembled, and block sanded flat. I am using the factory sealer because there is no reason at all to strip down to bare wood on a refinish. The factory sealer coat is already dead level, and is a perfect starting point for the refinish.
    [​IMG]

Black base coat, In a minor brain fart, I forgot to wipe the body down before I shot the black base coat, so there is some dust in the finish. It shouldn't hurt anything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When the base coat is dry, I will scuff sand it with a sanding block and 400 grit, and start applying the flake.

2. Mahataru

Mahataru

Do you have a spray booth? Are you using aerosol or hvlp?

3. Hopkins

I have an HVLP spray gun. I dont have a spray booth yet but plans for one are in the works.

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Always wanted to do one of these myself, can't wait to see what you do here...
    SUB'd...
    :bag:
    :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

Cool I can't wait to see the color!

I still haven't done my sub yet for fear of the truck bed liner finish...lol. Did it sand ok?

7. Hopkins

It wasn't bad at all. I took it down with a random orbital and a 400 grit and finished it off with a block.

8. Mahataru

Mahataru

I just finished the final clear coats on a body refinish in ocean turquoise metallic. If you've never sprayed a metallic before just be sure to make it super clean because you can't really do spot touch ups in the color coat without have a visible variance in irridesence. Also, make sure to put plenty of clear over the color coat before level sanding. I ended up sanding halfway into the color coat without noticing until I sprayed the next clear coat. I didn't have any visible burns though the color but sanding a little way into the color messed with the metal flake reflectivity in patches. If you do have any burn throughs in the color, plan ahead and have enough extra color to do a complete respray for even a small burn or touch up to keep the metal flake irridesence consistent.

9. Hopkins

J
    Im not spraying a metallic actually. I apply a clear and dust the flake on with one of [​IMG]

I am using a dry flake that is to big to be sprayed through a regular spray gun tip.

Its going to loom like these finishes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Yes! Another Hopkins thread! Subscribed.

11. Hopkins

Just a refinsh this time, thanks a lot man I really appreciate it.

12. joseplluissans

joseplluissans

Your stuff is always quality stuff :)

13. vdub75

vdub75

I just love flakey finishes! speacially green!

14. Hopkins

Well, I looks like the Flake Buster dry flake gun was a waste of time, money, and flakes. My first attempt with the dry flake gun laid down the flake very unevenly. So I bought a new gun with a 2.0mm tip and went back to the old method of mixing the flake in the clear. The bigger tip size handled the flake very well.

It is going to get one more coat of flake, I usually do three coats, but I am liking how it looks with more of the black showing through.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Hopkins

Sprayed two more coats of flake, its pretty thick now, and everything is looking even. As with every other flake finish I have done, this one is almost impossible to get an accurate photo of, especially since its such an ugly day with no direct sunlight.

[​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

That's some seriously thick flake. Love it!

17. Hopkins

Thanks, I just wish I could get the actual color to photograph correctly. In some of the pictures its almost blue looking, in reality its more of an emerald green color, and its very sparkly,

18. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

Looking great!

So the Flake Buster was a bust! That's a shame. I was going to pick one up, I guess I'm going to keep doing it the old way as well.

19. Hopkins

The new gun with the 2.0 tip makes for an easy flake job. The Flake Buster spits and sputters to much, makes for uneven coverage.

20. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

[​IMG]

You should send this one to me for a 2 year evaluation...

21. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Two words: matching headstock

...sorry, three words: beautiful