MusicMan Silent Circuit

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Angel LaHash, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

trying to understand what is and if i can get one

i googled it and got this
    Protection-Mute-Circuit-Diagram.gif
    Dam google and its key words some times.. its 12:30AM for me .. :( im half a sleep sorry about that Line6Man
    Also think what i trying to ask about has been talked about in the BIG DEBATE on Musicman guitars so i think i make a foot up there :(

i think its basicaly a coil to give a single coil more oomf
    i dont know what a ESP-SP1 is
    I think if it is just a COIL, would i need to make a coil that is shielded from the strings
    that will sum up the Henrys, if i wanted to just sum up the resisters i could just add one in its place
    i figured as the Pick up is about 13KOhms that it would need to be about 2250m of 42AWG copper all wrapped around its self
    but shielded away as said above..could easy put it to one side and cuts own holes with wires coming out.
    woudli need a core in the middle of it.. or could i just use a bit of plastic say

Talk about tone controls here
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/3pdt-pop-923210/
    http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/town8019/mycustompage0019.htm

2. line6man

line6man

I'm not sure what this is about, but that schematic shows something that would not be put on a bass.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The Ernie Ball circuit is a dummy coil with a buffer preamp. It's purpose is to get rid of hum, not to give the pickup more oomph.

This is from the patent application. In this diagram, the coil on the left, 202D, is the dummy, and the coil on the right, 212D is the pickup.The output from the preamp actually passes through the pickup.

[​IMG]

I actually have one of these that was removed from a guitar.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i remember the guitar versions as working pretty well, at the price of making the guitar sound "active".

if you pulled the battery out it still worked, but just had hum.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

It's a bit funny to me that they would want to get opamps and batteries involved, but end up not buffering the audible pickup. That circuit provides an output impedance similar to that of a standard passive pickup (No values are specified, but you can tell by looking at it), so you get all the usual problems associated with a higher (complex) impedance AND all of the usual downsides of having a battery onboard. What's the rationale behind this?

7. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's to stop it from sounding buffered. So they put the circuit on the ground end. They also load the dummy coil to simulate the load on the pickup