1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Musicman Sterling Fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

A few months ago I picked up from a fellow TB'r this 1999 Musicman Sterling. Just love this bass! It just sounds awesome every time I use it!

[​IMG]

Well it was getting lonely :bawl:

So just ordered this beauty from Bass Central

[​IMG]

Will be in my hands tomorrow! :hyper:

If the sound and the action is anywhere close to my fretted Sterling...I am going to love this bass too!
  2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

The quality control is so consistant, it will be a great bass.
  3. mfbolton

mfbolton Freelance Bassist Supporting Member

Should be a great pair. Congrats!
  4. bampilot06

bampilot06

Soooooo jealous
  5. ClassicJazz

Very hard to find too! They are not carried by allot of people. I checked most of the big "bass" stores and none had any. This one was only one of two that Bass Central had. Otherwise there is a 2-4+ month wait they said.

I am usually not a fan of solid colors, but with the matching headstock I thought this looked slick.
  6. ClassicJazz

Well the new Sterling came in today and boy am I pleased! This puppy plays like butter....so easy! Bass Central really did a nice job setting it up. Not a thing needs to tweaked! Perfect :hyper:

It feels about the same weight as my '99 Sterling, tad under 9 lbs.

Interesting combinations of sounds, classic Musicman but fretless. Nice mid punch with loads of bottom is needed. Will need to play around with it to get the feel. So far have not heard anything tone that sounded bad.

It came with round wounds that sound pretty good. No need to slap another set on. So two Sterling basses now! Guess I am a Musicman guy now.

(No....not selling my '72 Jazz! Still my main player)
  7. Crabby

Crabby

I actually sold my fretless Ray because I liked my fretless Sterling better! Incredible tone machine, you will not be disappointed.

[​IMG]
  8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I played one for years. Great fretless.
  9. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

i had a piezo equipped stering for awhile and the tone was great but i didn't like the neck. musicman makes some real classics
  10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

[​IMG]

I love my sterling fretless!

I'm excited for you man. I want another sterling bad. Awesome:)
  11. ClassicJazz

Nice sunburst you got there!
  12. ClassicJazz

Well used the new Sterling at a gig last night and it sounded great! Very pleased! Had it running through my Carvin B2000 head through a SWR GoLight 4x10 Marcus Miller cabinet.

Used the stock strings, I think it came with Ernie Ball Super Slinky round wounds. They were ok, but think I will putting on my regular D'addario strings I am use to.
  13. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Yea, I found that I prefer D'Addario over Slinky's as well.

You're a J guy, how do you like the Sterling tone compared to your J's?
  14. ClassicJazz

I really like the bottom end on the Sterling. It is tight, not boomy and very punchy. Really cuts through well in the mix.

And for slap, well it is a Musicman!

I wouldn't say it was better (or worse) than my Jazz basses, I still love the tone from my '72.

But I am finding it a bit easier to dial in the tone on the Sterling from room to room.
  15. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

I'm a self-proclaimed Jazz guy, but I find myself missing the Music Man sound lately. I also had a sound guy that told me my Ray 5HH was the best sounding bass that he heard me play and was easy to mix.
  16. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

very very nice.