Musicman sterling refret recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Igotsoul4u, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

My musicman sterling really needs to be refretted. Its been played a ton over the last 20 years. I have no experience with a repair like this. I am paranoid about getting ripped off but much more worried about having bad work done. I'm living in between NYC and philadelphia. Is there a "go to" guy that really knows musicman basses or does it not matter? I definitely want the same exact frets that were put on at the factory. Is there anything else I need to consider with a job like this or another process that should be done at the same time? Its a maple neck if that matters.
  2. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

Does musicman sell replacement necks?? I noticed they reissued the original sterling and I wonder if I could drop a new neck in there.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

totally straight forward. you dont need a replacement neck. since they dont shoot poly on the maple boards it shouldnt be any more than refretting a rosewood board. 250-350 dollar job depending on where you go. any more and youre paying for name or someones rent.