1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MusicMan Stingray 5: single coil? What coil?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gillento, Jan 6, 2014.

1. gillento

gillento

I recently got a SR5 and I put a Nordstrand PU into that bass.
    Now, I forgot to check which coil of the original PU was being selected in the single coil setting :(
    Can anbody help?
  2. Big Benner

Big Benner

Sorry, I'm not sure but would love to find out - subscribed.

I would also love to hear what you think of the new pickup once it's wired in and going.

Cheers,

Ben
  3. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    There's a pic around here at TB I've seen where someone posted what coils do what in each pickup selection. If I could remember what thread it was in I'd link to it, but hopefully someone here knows and can post it for you.
  4. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Attached Files:

5. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Yep, IF it's a single H with ceramic pickup - i.e. made sometime between 1988(?) and 2007. In 2008, they changed the SR5 to alnico pickups and the wiring also changed. I don't remember exactly now, but I'm 99% sure the later ones don't have a true Single Coil mode, like the pre-2008s did.
  7. lz4005

lz4005

Touch a piece of metal to the pole. If that coil is on you'll hear 'thunk' through your amp.
  8. Bobster

Bobster

On 2008 and newer SR5s, there is no single coil mode. It's Parallel, Series and Series with Filter. The .pdf file n the SR5 webpage shows the options.

Bob