1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

musicman stingray HS users ... a question please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilansgroove, Feb 7, 2014.

1. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    Hi everyone ....

I am a Musicman stingray user, i've had mine since 1996!!
    i LOVE it, but feel the need to have another sound ... i bought a few basses to test but ended up selling them each time ...

i had a fretless warwick, a fretless jazzbass, a 5 string jazzbass delux , a 4 string jazzbass standart ....

i know the sound i am looking for is that agressive p-bass sound but with something more ...

i was told (maybe i'm wrong) that the stingray HS has a more P-bass sound options ... Any opinions on that ????????

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Somewhere Far Beyond
    Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    It has ballpark P-bass tones at best, thanks to the neck pickup. It won't confuse any bass player into thinking it's a P bass, but it's closer than the single H at the bridge.

IMO, and this is 100% a bias opinion - check out HS and HH Bongos. And, in fact, try EBMM Sterling 5 HH and HS while you're at it. I love my Bongos and my Sterling, though the Sterling doesn't get much play time now a days. The Bongos will kick your face in if you want them to.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    IMO the HS pickup combination, while versatile, does not sound like a P bass in any setting. You gotta have a pickup in the P sweet spot to get that tone.

Sounds like what you want is a P-J setup. Fender Deluxe Precision, G&L L-2000/M-2000, are a couple that you should try out at your music store.

5. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Bristow, VA
    G&L SB-2, not L or M2000.

The SB-2 is a PJ with "more", for sure. Spend $10 - 20 and add a Tone control and you've got the Ultimate P Bass, in my book.

6. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    I never liked the G&L necks ....

but maybe i should test them again ....

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Somewhere Far Beyond
    Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    How much do you want to sound like a P? Are you just looking to add a bit of aggressiveness, or do you want to actually sound like a P completely?

8. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    don't really know
    i just want that aggressive fender sound ....

another option i had in mind was the Sandberg California TM

9. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Orange County, California
    Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    My G&L L-2000 sounds like an aggressive P-bass. It's got a #8 neck (basically like Fender's Jazz neck).

10. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Mar 8, 2009
    G&L basses have a variety of neck options, I believe. Maybe you haven't tested the right one for your hands?

11. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Check out Ed Friedland's review of the Big Al. The middle pickup of the SSS config cops a great p-bass tone.

Fast forward to the 1:55 mark for the passive middle pickup

12. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    i never thought of testing this bass nor did i look up in you tube, i guess because it so damn ugly :)

but it does have some great sounds!!

13. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    If you don't like the looks of the Big Al, you can get a Reflex with the three single coils as well. The pickups and preamp are the same in both models.

14. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france

this one looks much better and sounds great!!!!

15. birdie num nums

birdie num nums

Dec 20, 2006
    +1000
    Couldn't agree more. ;)

16. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Warwick, NY
    +1 I was just going to say this..