1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Musicman Sub refinish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by StreetScenes, Aug 30, 2012.

1. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ok so I picked up this tank from a CL deal and I plan on doing some custom paint work on it. While I'm at it I have a few questions.

1. I was thinking about an orange similar to my green jazz. Any other suggestions? I may paint it to match my bike. http://cincitycustoms.com/The_Projects/Pages/VN800.html#3

2. Would you contour the body or keep it a slab?

3. It's going to have to be stripped. No kidding right! Should I worry about the MM Sub logo. I'm going to remove the sticker on the back, but IF I sell it I want to be able to say it a SUB not an OLP or what have you.

IMG_1508.jpg

Thanks!

2. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow, looks like someone already started doing some of the stripping for You. IMO- I think it would look really good orange, and I would leave it as a slab.
    When I refinished one of the SUBs I used to have, I relocated the serial number sticker underneath the neck plate (in the case of it's origin was in question or it was stolen).

Pics of My old SUB refin!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I am planning on putting arm and tummy cuts to mine and having the body refinished.
    The only complaint I have about the bass is that it is uncomfortable to play compared to a Ray

I plan on painting the body satin black nitro so it matches the head stock. I already have a black pearloid pick guard.

I would not mess with the headstock. These are great made in USA basses that are going up in value. I see them going up even more in the future with the release of the new made in China SUBs.

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Ive been tossing the idea of doing a red or green sparkle finish on my sub. If it wasnt a white factory one I would have already started stripping it.

6. I think it looks pretty sweet as is, but that's just me.

7. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Agreed I'd rock that axe

8. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Looks cool as is... Bet Tim Commerford would rock that ****. I love me some refins, though! :)

9. StreetScenes

Mar 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    image-758352799.jpg

image-1334592342.jpg

Well I'd planned to keep it as is but the rollered house paint is driving me crazy. I may sand on it and see what comes out of it.

This is another option... image-1458006851.jpg

10. StreetScenes

Mar 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good idea on the serial number relocation I'm going to do that one for sure

11. StreetScenes

Mar 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not the sub but an opl body that I was working on. I may do the sub a matching orange.

image-3613887913.jpg

image-2362249755.jpg

image-570684407.jpg

image-722609249.jpg

12. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA